S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
It's Hip to Be Square!
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Video below pretty much explains my situation. To summarize, I got a smokin' deal on a nice 1999 S10, due to someone trying to steal it from the previous owner, and screwing up the lock cylinder in the process. Previous owner wasn't mechanically inclined, so he sold it for next to nothing ($200) instead of fixing it. I bought it, drilled the old smashed lock cylinder out, and put in a $10 cylinder and key from the part store and have been driving it ever since... Until a few days ago. Trying to chase down a separate wiring issue with the radio, I turned the key to the accessory position and its been stuck ever since - it won't turn back clockwise, nor will it turn at all to allow the removal of the cylinder for easy replacement. I've tried everything and its just FUBAR. I can drill the lock cylinder out and replace it a 2nd time... but I don't trust it anymore. If something is broken in the lock cylinder housing that will make it screw up in my driveway, you bet your butt that it's going to mess up again at the worst possible time when I'm out of town with it or camping in the middle of nowhere or something. So I'm wanting to put in a good 'ol push start.

Long story short, if I put the little ignition switch 'gear' into the RUN position so it's making all the right connections to the ECU, provide power to the fuel pump, and have a momentary switch to press for the starter, I should be able to get on the road again. I know the "right" way to fix everything would be to go to a you-pull-it junk yard and source a used steering column, and cannibalize the lock cylinder housing to fix my column... but that seems like a lot of work and expense for a little $200 truck I just use to kick around in. Does anybody know which wires on the lock cylinder or ignition switch excite the starter, and excite the fuel pump so I can start testing out a push button start setup?

Thanks guys!

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
912 Posts
column lock engaged- its one bottom of column- had that happen on a '99 Sonoma- did not catch it till after drilling/twisting and smashing the old lock out

·
Registered Hoosier
4,534 Posts
Won't work due to vats.
Get the cylinder out and see if it junked out already.

·
It's Hip to Be Square!
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Won't work due to vats.
Don't the vehicles with VATS have the key with the little chip in it? My key is a normal plain key with no "resistor pellet" in it.

column lock engaged- its one bottom of column- had that happen on a '99 Sonoma- did not catch it till after drilling/twisting and smashing the old lock out
Is the column lock on the bottom of the column on the steering wheel end, or the gas pedal end?

·
Registered Hoosier
4,534 Posts
Don't the vehicles with VATS have the key with the little chip in it? My key is a normal plain key with no "resistor pellet
S10 uses a different setup. There is a resistor in the lock cylinder housing. Turning the key sends a signal to the bcm. If you engage the starter without the resistor voltage present, the system goes into tamper mode.

·
It's Hip to Be Square!
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got her fixed! As Jayhawke said, under the ignition lock cylinder housing is a slot, and I was able to stick a flat blade screwdriver in and press the little tab that was stuck and jamming everything up and unlock the cylinder. Good tip, thanks!!

Here's a picture in case anyone ever runs into the same problem. The torx bit is pointing at the slot you'll have to slide a screwdriver up in and poke and prod around. Poke enough things and look up in there with a flashlight while you wiggle your lock cylinder and you'll figure out what's bound up.

S10 uses a different setup. There is a resistor in the lock cylinder housing. Turning the key sends a signal to the bcm. If you engage the starter without the resistor voltage present, the system goes into tamper mode.
Interesting information!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts