S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered Loser
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if I got 6 coil packs and mounted the on the valve covers and connected them AFTER the distributor. Would it work like that? Heh, I'm just bored....

·
Early Member
3,138 Posts
No.

·
Early Member
3,138 Posts
Bypassing the distributor would elimnate what determines the firing of the sparkplug at the proper time. Since this is not a Coil On Plug setup you would not have control of the firing order of your plugs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Are you asking about having it this way?
.....................D
.....................I
........SP-Coil- S -Coil-SP
.....................T
.....................R
........SP-Coil- I -Coil-SP
.....................B
.....................U
........SP-Coil- T -Coil-SP
.....................O
.....................R

Sorrry for the ....... buts thats the only way to show it

·
Registered
88 Posts
yeah i think he is talking going from the dis, to a coil to a spark plug, so the dis would still be controlling firing order

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
What good could this possibly do?

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
This would be realy neat, this is how GM does the LS1, 8100 and probably the new 6/5/4 cylinder enginnes. They don't use the Distributor though.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
How about mounting solenoids on the valve covers to open and close the valves!? Then you could get rid of a lot of valvetrain components-

·
CHEVROLET COUNTRY \/6
560 Posts
i think its a cool idea i would do it if i had the money.

·
CHEVROLET COUNTRY \/6
560 Posts
how would it work.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
actually the idea has been around for a long time for large diesels and i forget who the big guinea pig was for a manufacturer... but it is pretty simple idea...just the cost of all of it.

it would involve solenoid actuators pushing the valves open against the spring force..and of course all the solenoids would be timed and controlled by a computer sensing the speed + crank location + desired speed/output. it could get complicated though and what would happen if one of the solenoids failed!?? it all involves very fine timing of not just how much the valve opens but the rate too...it HAS to be mainly linear to the RPMS like a cam does it. you could have unlimited VTEC LOL!

the advantage..probably not a big weight savings but a considerable increase in HP/TQ because of less rotating mass, friction, etc- follow? i guess the costs outweigh the benefits and thats why we have cams.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
There's also rotary valves. That's gonna be a future technology for air in/out. On ignition, they're working on microwave (like the oven) technology to ignite the fuel. No wires at all. It would be sent a signal based on the crank location and burn all the fuel instantly. You'll start losing your hair after a while, but the engine will run better.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
Seriously? Havent been following new car tech for a while. Everybodys hair would fall out but anything for a better ET right?:drunk:

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
that would have to be one seriously powerful microwave emitter to get a fuel/air mixture to ignite....anyone guess how big the "distributor" for that system will be?

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
If it werent for Greenpeace, just go with a small Nuke.

There is a website I saw where a company retrofits small aeroderivative gas turbines!!! There was a Turbine on Ebay for 5k... sorry to get off topic.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts