S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got some questions

my truck wont start, and i noticed that my its arcing between the ignition coil and the wire that runs from the coil to the distributor

i know the the wire is fine, i just replaced it.

i think the coil is junk

how much do coils run for? and isnt their aftermarket ones that i could use instead for more performance?

K

·
0 Posts
yeah you can use an aftermarket one..not sure of who makes the..i am pretty sure MSD would have something for that engine...but if you want to stay stock here it the OEM part number
Ignition Coil . 10489421
. $50.77

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
accel makes one i think

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
i was told by the speed shop i bought my MSD 6A ignition and 8.5mm ignition wires from that MSD doesnt have a coil for the 98 up 4.3s, atleast not right now. i am not 100% on this info and i plan on researching this sometime this week and ill let you know what i find out as far as manufaturer, part number, price, and performance.:thumbup:

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
he can get the MSD GM blaster coil from truck performance or jegs 40.00 i think

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is the MSD GM Blaster Coil a direct swap pretty much? it bolts up to the same bracket and i dont need any special wire harness for it?

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you have the OEM...

that is riveted into a little mounting bracket that sits over the valve cover then Mallory also makes a higher power replacement. You simply drill out the rivets in the OEM and mount the Mallory in its place.

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
Well yes you will need a MSD 6A or better ignition though which isnt very expensive, heres what all is involved in installing the coil these instruction are intended that you already have the ignition system.. When you order the coil you will get it and everything needed to instal it. You will have to remove your old coil, just unbolt the coil bracket, and unplug the coil wiring harness. The coil assembly should slide out of place. Since the Blaster coil uses the factory bracket, the factory coil has to be separated from the bracket, which is held in place by rivets, so the easiest way to remove them is to drill them out. Once the rivets are drilled out from the bracket you can just toss away the old coil or keep it if anything was to happen to your new one which i doubt unless your a tard. Using the bolts that comes with the installation kit, use the long bolts for the rear of the coil assembly, and the short bolts for the front which is the side with the harness plug and the coil wire plug. The bolt the coil to the bracket using the provided locknuts, then plug the coil harness adapter to the factory coil wiring harness. Using the provided electrical connectors plug the red and white wires from the coil adapter harness to the red and white wires from the MSD Ignition control module adapter harness, do the same with the orange and black wires coming from the coil adapter harness and the ignition control module adapter harness. Plug the coil harness adapter onto the MSD Blaster ignition coil, should be only one plug.Slide the coil assembly back into its original position, make sure everything is tight, replace any factory pieces that were removed for instalation process. Attach the ignition coil wire to the Blaster coil.. Hope this helps..:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts