S-10 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 18 Posts

· Registered
591 Posts
Well, don't go looking for trouble because you're bound to find it. I guess I'll be metalworking this truck for a while. It's on both sides, not as bad on the left.
Although I owned a 1st gen a very long time ago, I am not nearly as familiar w/ them as 2nd gen's. If that was a 2nd gen, I would expect that rust to have originated from a leak in the cowl plenum. Once the seam sealer fails, I think the water and subsequent rust just follows the seams.

· Registered
591 Posts
It is a 2nd gen and that appears to be precisely it. I scraped all the cracked seam sealer out and will reseal it once I patch it up. I also don't love the way the front floor reinforcement at the body mount is sandwiched together with no sealer, but I guess it's to allow for drainage.

In central Pennsylvania, having the inner fender sitting against that area doesn't seem to help things, as it doesn't look like it ever dries and salt collects in there, too.

So the question is, keep the spot welded lip/seam or just butt in a formed patch and get rid of that entire lip?
I confused your vehicle with a 1st gen in a different thread. I do not see a problem with eliminating the lip. I thought there was a sufficient air gap between the inner fender and cab, but I have not looked up into that area recently. I repaired that area on my current daily driver years ago, but did not have a welder at that time.

1 - 2 of 18 Posts