S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Too damn old for this sh*
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get an alignment on my 98 s-10 today and the mechanic told me I needed a new Idler Arm. He showed it to me and it didn't seem too worn to me. He said the "play" in the front end was caused by it. I think I smelled bull$hit comming out of his mouth. He said parts and all would be about $118 :uhoh:

My bro's a GM mechanic and I'm going to get him to look at it ASAP, but I wanted to know if any of you guys have experinced this.

·
Need MO POWER
17 Posts
do you hear a pop when you brake hard ? or turn hard fast ( like into a parking spot real quick)
i have that problem. my ali. guy said the same thing, need a new adler arm, let me know what your bro says
also check to see if your adler arm is locked to the sleeves. it should be loose to move like you wrist front to back

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had to replace mine at about 25K. The part was only like $35 and can be purchased online for much less. I was quoted at 1/2 hour labor. Your quote seems a bit high.

The idler arm does wear fast on the S-trucks.

K

·
0 Posts
yeah they wear fast on the S and T trucks....why i don't know...but my mom has a Jimmy and she has had the Idler Arm replaced twice before it was right.....

they symtoms were hard to keep the car straight at highway speed, popping noise when wheel at lockout position....

But yeah...i work at a GM Dealer so....if you guys need the parts for a little cheaper let me know

·
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got my brother to check out my Idler arm and it is indeed in need of replacement. Anybody know where to get a good one? Is there a company that makes one that exceeds OEM specs? Jason (brother) said he could get the part for $65 and could do it on his lunch to save the labor.

Why!!!!:cry: :bash: :rolleyes:

And I was just getting ready to blow some $ on mirrors and painting my grille.

·
Need MO POWER
17 Posts
that be sweet kenny . how much for a 99 noma 4.3 got a 4/5 drop. Pharacyde let me know if you find a better then oem part
hope it works for ya
:cool:

·
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand that MOOG makes an Idler arm for the S-10, but I can't find it online.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Idler arms when worn will cause the front end to shake, shimmy. On vans and trucks they dont last long, vans every 35,000 , trucks 40,000+. Use a lifetime TRW, they outlast evrything else. To change it, if you can use a wrench or socket set, anyone can do it, easy as pie. About $40 for the TRW, 1/2 hour TOPS to change it. Take out cotter pin, loosen nut, rap with hammer to free up taper lock, take out both bolts to frame,replace and retighten.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts