S-10 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had the same problem when i lowered my 1990. Here was my fix. Loosened the bar mounts on the frame on both sides. Took a thin pry-bar and gently pries against the idler and bar on the passenger side, Left bar inserted while tightening the sway bar mounts on the frame. For a little extra clearance i also loosened the 2 bolts on the idler are where it mounts to frame got what slack i could out prying gently same place again and tightened idler arm. Ended up with maybe 3/16 clearance at right height. Been more than 5 years no ill effects.
Note: may not be the "correct" way but this is how i did it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Would a different sway bar work?
It would have to be a much smaller diameter. I used a ZQ8 big bar on mine which is larger than standard and lowering around 3 1/2 in front caused contact. If i recall right the big bar may have had a slight joggle in that are in anticipation of the problem. I suppose if loosing and moving things around didn't solve the problem one could slightly slot the sway bar mounts that go to the frame or, and not sure what to think about this, some careful clearance of the sway bar with a grinder. I would of course check clearance with weight of truck on wheels before anything drastic due to the arc of the sway bar swing when weight is off front wheels.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
34,387 Posts
I just went out and checked mine...specs...96 SS with 324K miles, original ZQ8 springs, 2" Bell Tech spindles. I used the Moog Problem Solver Idler arm. The bottom of the arm sits higher than bk2life's arm, and has about 1/4" clearance to the sway bar. I wonder if there is enough "bend" in it near the arm, that if the sway bar at the end links is too high, maybe lowering it to level might rotate the bar upwards enough to get some space. I just thought about that while I was typing this. I'm pretty sure my bar is level. I'll check it after lunch.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
I put the Moog model on my s10 2 weeks ago and did not snap a pic of the bar to arm clearance. Her is mine now. Its about 1/16 away from the bar us the Moog is a much beefier part than OE. the sway bar is the 33mm bar we are using
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Steering part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
767 Posts
based on my light reading regarding front end rebuilds on s10: the idler affords a ton of adjustability when you mount it up. as suggested above, i would get some pry bars in there and maybe a helping hand and see if you can orient it in a better way.
i wouldnt know, but it may be one of those times where its better to fully tighten it when the vehicles weight is on the tires instead of jack stands. i know its custom but a shopmanual might come in handy there.
that idler alone makes me want to spring for a lifetime alignment after i rebuild mine...

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Today i loosened the 2 attaching nut/botls and jammed a big screw driver up between the sway bar and the idler arm.
Then i torqued the nut bolt combo with 3 1/2" ugga duggas from my impact, removed the screw driver, and voila' about 3/16 of clearance now..

Bicycle tire Crankset Bicycle frame Automotive tire Wheel
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

1 - 14 of 14 Posts