S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Its been a while since I posted anything. Quick recap: Removed engine from my 97 4wd Jimmy in march 2010. My engine spun a few bearings and was not worth rebuilding or at least, was not worth it to me. I foung a brand new, 13 year old motor freshly out of the crate for approx. the same price as rebuilding mine. Finished the install and turned the key to start and hoping it would. Well, It it seem to run fine except for a few things. My check engine light flahes but does not register any code although, I have 4 monitors flashing on my code reader. The idle is around 2200 rpm, way to fast to put it in gear. When I disconnect the throtle cable from the throtle body, idle falls to normal, around 7oo rpm. This is the same cable, intake with injection system as was on the previous engine. I checked the throttle cable to see if it was binding but, all ok. Somehow it feels like the cable is too short. The throttle lever is about 3/16" from the idle screw on the TB. I never changed anything and did not notice how it was on the previous engine. Is the computer suppose to set idle? The only thing I changed besides the engine that is not original from the previous engine are the 2= O2 sensors upstream from the converter. These were given to me and I think they are from a 2005 4.3. I had to change the connectors to adapt to my truck. Coud this be the problem? The flashing monitors on the code reader are; Catalic converter, Evap system ,Oxygen heather sensor and egr system. I hope someone can point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this. I am kind of anxious to give it a spin.
Don

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick update. I put the hood back on so I could connect the vacum canister. No change. I had an exhaust leak at the Y pipe. Fixed that and I dont know if that helped or the fact that I disconnected the cruise control cable but, the idle is now at 1500 rpm. Can't seem to get it down any lower. If I force the throttle lever to close a bit, idle goes down but goes way back up to 3000 rpm when I let go of it. Please, someone chime in.
Don

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
try changing out the fuel filter maybe..?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
try changing out the fuel filter maybe..?
This is the first thing I did before starting the truck as well as oil, air $ tranny filter, all fluids,plugs & wires. As for the throttle plates,I think everything is good. I think I will take the T/B off and clean the IAC.
Don

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried to find the problem again today. Here is what I did.
I cleaned and tested the IAC valve and cleaned the throttle body. Checked the tps. Cleaned the egr. Now with the cables correctly plugged in, I get 3000 rpm idle. If I unplug the cable that is to the left of the throttle cable (facing rear) idle goes down to 1500 rpm. If I put it in gear (A/T) the idle goes down to 1000 rpm, the truck shakes like crazy and dies. I unplugged the cts to see if the pcm would throw a code and it does., My MIL is always flashing when the truck is running but no codes. I took resistance readings on the coolant sensor as well as IAT sensor and all good. I unplugged the 2, O2 sensors upstream of the catalyst and let the truck idle at 1500 rpm for 30 min. No codes.
I really need help diagnosing this problem. Like I mentioned before, filters, fluids plugs and wires are all new. There are many knowledgeable people here so, please, help me with this. Thanks.
Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts