S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have the stock cd player, upgraded door and dash speakers, and 2 10" kicker subs run by a 300W kenwood amp.
when I turn it up real loud it sounds distorted.
the amp and the subs are not mine and my sister might want them back this summer.
Anyone have any ideas on what kind of amp+sub combo I should get. maybe even a new head unit or 4-chanel amp for other speakers.
I want to rattle the neighborhood and I have money to spend on a system. since My dad wont let me keep a nova at the house:(

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
by the way I was thinking of 2 12's or 2 15's, I want to be the loudest truck in town!!:rock:

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
cant go wrong with kicker, but thats just my opinion. i had 2 12 comp vrs in my beretta and they slammed. i only had them hooked up to a little 300 watt amp too.

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put my friends 2 12" comp kickers in my truck with the same amp and they were not as loud, they had a distorted sound at a lower volume than the regular 10" kickers.
there is a nob on the amp for adjustment will this stop the distortion or were the comp 12's f#&Ked up?

·
Resident *******
11,267 Posts
in my humble opinion, i would go with MTX thunder 8000, the 15" sub needs about 2 cu ft of airspace, if you have an extended cab building a box for two of these shouldn't be a problem. as for an amp, i again have to say MTX. i would go with the thunder 6000D amp. this combination should give you your sedired results. replacing the factory cd player is recomended. get a stereo with preamps, this will prevent noise. THe wiring is also very important. you should always run a good quality battery cable. i use 4 ga. thick wires help prevent the headlights from dimming when the bass hits. also, the amp getts better current from battery and puts out more power. but, that's just my humble opinion.

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
hmmmmmmmm dunno about your friends comp 12's, were they comps or comp vrs... the vrs can take a good bit more power. i dunno, mine sounded good, but that was in a car

·
bagged after winter
2,721 Posts
Oh, and Grant, Alpine just came out w/there new H.U.'s, less then when the first came out w/the CWA-7575, i think it runs somewhere around 350-399

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
Alpine is Over-Rated-Over-Priced Junk!

Stick with Rockford amps (unless you have the $$ to spend on a Memphis Amp) and Kicker Subs. The best subs I ever had were kicker comps. I wish I would have never sold them..:cry: But live and learn I guess!

Not to Flame on anyone...this is just my OPINION

·
/=||=/
589 Posts
alpine amps sound great in trucks. parametric eq comes in handy when you want to crank it and keep it clean.

however, if you're doing a blow thro from the bed to cab, MTX has some good balls to the wall pounding amps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
how about a pioneer 7300 as a head unit? they are pretty cheap, reliable, and very good for the $$. they are good against skipping and give you just about all you need in a HU.
ebay - $240

sub amp - jbl bp1200.1 class d, close to 1400 watts, very cheap and reliable, gives off full power at both 1 and 2 ohms
ebay - $260

sub - kicker L7, digital designs 3500, audiobahn 00 series, image dynamics max, adire audio brahma, jl audio w3, rockford power hx2, and the list goes on and on

and if you want loud then go ported, takes up more space but it will be louder

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need more ideas for a whole system, thanks to everyone so far.

Does anyone sell amp+sub combos?

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I should get a Kicker amp???? WHICH ONE, I want power.

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
im not sure if this is right or not but i think that zx's are the power beasts....dont yell at me if im wrong.

·
The Tool All The Pro's Use!!
303 Posts
Kicker just came out w/ a new line of amps and I've gotten different power numbers from my sources so I suppose you'll have to contact kicker and ask them what the real deal is. As for subs go w/ some L7 or L5 Solo-Barics in the 12"-15" range. They have more cone space so they'll play louder, but you're gonna need some hefty ampage and possibly a better alternator and a capacitor (no need to dim your lights and crash into things). On top of that you might as well buy a seperate amp for the stock speaker replacements, and just my opinion but Kenwood seems to have some decent higher end head units.

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so I should get a four chanel amp instead of a new head unit?

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
ORION XTR or HCCA

Dude i have a killer setup in my Noma. 2 Orion Xtr Pro 15's with an Orion HCCA 250R on each sub. Each amp is putting 800 watts of pure power to each sub and they beg for more. I hit constant mid and high 153 dbs on a Audiocontrol meter. Oh yeah and ported is the way to do it for the high SPL. Tune it at 45-50 htz for a good mix but tuning that high is better for competitions.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i have all Kenwood and JL Audio in my truck...its sounds modest for a standard cab...i have KDC-715S Head Unit with mask face, kenwood 4X6's<----Dont get, 2 kenwood amp KAC-729S and KAC-629S...the 729S is for the subs and the 629S is for the 4X6, Kenwood KGC-7043 equalizer, and then 2 JL Audio 10W0s....im sure mine will sound better when i redo my boxes...right now they are crap to get me through with some bass

·
Half Deaf at 140dB
108 Posts
I've got a Kicker S15L7 powered by a ZR360 ([email protected])

Its in a ported box and fixs well in the cab and hits close to 135 -140dB with the amp on 1/2 gain.

i also run a Kenwood head and thier digital equalizer w/ 4v pre-outs.

it slams and doesn't distort one bit. gotta luv kicker.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts