S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The setup is Flex-o-lite 210 fan, fans wired together, and a VSC controller. Works good. no problems. Need your opinion for a little mod. I was thinking of. The fans are running (as they're supposed to) with the A/C on,all the time. including on the interstate. The question - If i put a switch in the signal wire after the high side pressure switch, but before the controller, so I could turn off the fans to the A/C side only from inside the cab upon entering the interstate, because I would moving at speed (60+ mph.), the fans wouldn't be needed at all. But, having them running for the A/C, would put an unnessary drag on the alt. reduciing mpg. a little.

·
Registered (Ab) User
4,137 Posts
The setup is Flex-o-lite 210 fan, fans wired together, and a VSC controller. Works good. no problems. Need your opinion for a little mod. I was thinking of. The fans are running (as they're supposed to) with the A/C on,all the time. including on the interstate. The question - If i put a switch in the signal wire after the high side pressure switch, but before the controller, so I could turn off the fans to the A/C side only from inside the cab upon entering the interstate, because I would moving at speed (60+ mph.), the fans wouldn't be needed at all. But, having them running for the A/C, would put an unnessary drag on the alt. reduciing mpg. a little.
You're right - the fans aren't needed at 60 mph. However, that 60 mph breeze blowing through the radiator is acting on the fan blades, spinning them like a turbine, so there will be very little power used by the fan motors at those speeds. If you would like, you can turn them off.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Huh? Why should the alternator "need" to put out 20 amps?
if the fans were to run at full power I am guessing 20 amps. Like you said though, the wind will spin the fan for the motor for the most part and the energy used by the motor will be very little.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. My VSC actually has a terminal to connect a switch for turning the fans off (or prevent from coming on) manually. They call it a "water crossing" switch to make sure the fans don't come on whilst the blades may be submerged. The switch would work just as well for turning the fans off while cruising at high speed. I am not so much expecting any mpg gains but it might be good to keep some time off the fans, especially if you have really long interstate cruising. Might make the fans last longer. I don't have that much open road driving right now so it isn't a priority but maybe something I connect when I have time.

To your question... interrupting the signal as you propose should do the trick. But check your vsc manual to see if you have the feature I mentioned above. You'd still have to run wire to a switch in the cab but popping on a terminal connector would be easier than splicing the wire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts