S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fat kids love cake?
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was wondering what sensor I'm looking at here. All I know is that my truck has never really ran great, and that this sensor has never been hooked up. What is it? Is it important? Please help a brotha' out! Thanks! :)

Attachments

·
Fat kids love cake?
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops...

Well, after seeing this post... it became obvious that there are about 50 bajillion sensors in the pic. I'm talking about the one on the intake tube. There is a place where a tube connects to it on the top, and there is a place where a metal tube can connect to it on the bottom. Neither one are connected. Thanks again for your help.

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
I forget what it's called, but it basically tells your intake when to use the preheated air from off of your exhaust manifold.. I think? At least that's what my Dad always told me, when I asked him about it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
on start up when its really cold it helps act as a choke. When the engine starts up the valve (big round thing u c on top) opens up and allows exhaust (heated air) to get sucked into the motor for easy start up. roy

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you live in a area with cold winters it will help get the engine warmed up and idleing smooth faster. If you dont ever see below 40 degrees dont worry about it.

·
Fat kids love cake?
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does that item go bad? It does get cold here in KY sometimes. Is it worth replacing? Well, thanks for the help. I knew the problem wouldn't be fixed THAT easily. I wonder what could be causing it to run like crap.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It can go bad, the valve that it. most ppl dont replace them, i never did but i think it does help at start ups when its cold out....tell us symptoms of your truck and well see if we can get that booger running better... roy

·
Fat kids love cake?
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Roy,
Well, it starts to sputter and lose power at highway speed, sometimes it backfires at highway speed (and when I downshift so as to slow down without brakes), sometimes it will sputter off the line if I get on it too hard. I've got MSD 8.5 mm wires, splitfires, the MSD upgrade coil, new cap, new rotor button, new injector, new computer, new 02 sensor.... geez, what in the world is left? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
247 Posts
did you plug off the vacuum line that goes to the intake heater thingy. it could be causing you a vacuum leak when the engine is cold.

backfiring when you downshift is a normal thing with these engines especially if you have no muffler.

it should not backfire going down the highway.
Some things to check.
is your check engine light on?
what do your spark plugs look like? are they fouled or clean?
when was the last time you replaced your fuel filter ?
when is the last time you checked your egr valve & pcv valve?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts