S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do some welding on my 1993 S15 frame. I was told that the frame was hardened or tempered and the heat from welding would weaken the frame. Got any advice?:haha:

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
I believe that only applies to the fullsize trucks, which would make sense since they changed body styles in '88. Either way, I've seen a ton of frames, both S-series and fullsize, that have been welded on, and no problems as long as the person doing the welding knew what they were doing.

·
(Chaos)
1,811 Posts
somebody lied to you

i don't think GM or any auto maker is gonna take the time to heat treat/temper a frame. and if they did try to make these frame's stiffer, they would negate the use of crumple zones
can you imagine one on a frame rack hahaha. dam thing would explode before flexing back. gm and automakers dont even weld half the shit together as it is.

·
We Bend Stainless
2,797 Posts
somebody lied to you

i don't think GM or any auto maker is gonna take the time to heat treat/temper a frame. and if they did try to make these frame's stiffer, they would negate the use of crumple zones
This. The only frames I'm aware of being unsafe to weld on are commercial and semi trucks... and they have a disclaimer in the manual and right on the frame.

·
(Chaos)
1,811 Posts
This. The only frames I'm aware of being unsafe to weld on are commercial and semi trucks... and they have a disclaimer in the manual and right on the frame.
i weld on them weekly. im sure it not recommended for noob welders but ive never seen one then again i get stuck with the pos trucks

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
i weld on them weekly. im sure it not recommended for noob welders but ive never seen one then again i get stuck with the pos trucks
He's right. They got stickers right on the frame... It's must a disclaimer though mostly, though I HAVE heard of DOT writing tickets for frame welds. I was a fleet mechanic for about 3 years. Now i'm back OTR. blah.

but yeah, no problems on thin steel light truck frames. Have fun!

·
(Chaos)
1,811 Posts
He's right. They got stickers right on the frame... It's must a disclaimer though mostly, though I HAVE heard of DOT writing tickets for frame welds. I was a fleet mechanic for about 3 years. Now i'm back OTR. blah.

but yeah, no problems on thin steel light truck frames. Have fun!
I mostly weld on tow truck and we do dot inspections. I'm sure if the welds are shotty or run the length of a frame rail then ya but Ive never had a issue, but that's bug trucks and far different than a dime

1 - 10 of 10 Posts