S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have on 02 zq8. love the truck but want it lower. i bought 2 inch drop spindles and 1 inch drop coils. i have not installed yet due to the fact im afraid i bought parts that are already on my truck from the factory. i impulsed bought and im aware. i have toxic shocks on the rear of the truck now and 3 inch blocks. so it looks like im driving around with sandbags in the back and i hate it. i can do the work myself i just need someone to tell me what to buy to make the front as low as the back.

so my first question is how did they lower the front of the zq8 and did i buy the wrong parts?

any help would be great cause i have parts sitting in my living room still in the box and im getting ancy!

·
Check your ground
30,848 Posts
Zq8 trucks have 1.5" coils and 1.5" leafs from the factory. You can keep the drop spindles but i would return the 1" coils. if you do that and swap out the 3" blocks for some 2" ones you should have a level ride. keep in mind though that some trucks sit higher in the back from the factory. do some measuring to see where you're at now and go from there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
correct, i just read the post like 5 below mine on zq8 and it answered alot, shouldve just read some post and wouldve understood lol, impusle post! ha

thanks alot

so with some simple math i have found that if put the 2" spindle on i would have in total a 3.5" drop in the front but i want low so i would prolly keep that 3" block unless the truck for some reason is still lower in the back and i would act accordinly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i returned my 1 inch coil for 2 inch coil at summit on sat., took me all weekend to install and now my lower control arms are on the bump stops. any idea as to fix problem, i like the look, its great, though for all the money in suspension parts to ride on bumps is ridiculous. can i relocate bump stop or just buy $400-$500 A arms. wtf

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just remove the bump stops. When you cut them short, they don't do much for cushioning anyway. If you remove them, you get a little more travel before the arm bottoms out... which doesn't happen very often with stiff lowering springs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well before i put them on the truck i thought they were stiff...i mean i was palying with them and they were strong, but im not as strong as a v6 weighs lol...they are DJM springs. honestly i havent even gotten the truck back from the dealer from getting an alignment...i work out of town get it back tommorow, ill post pics on the other thread as soon as i wash it....seing how everybody complains when the truck is dirty

42,004 Posts
the bump stops on the lower control arms look like this.

cut the pointy part off so it's flush with the flatter part.
don't just take them off because if you do happen to bottom out the metal to metal could damage your frame or control arm.

·
Registered
269 Posts
don't just take them off because if you do happen to bottom out the metal to metal could damage your frame or control arm.
Have you personally seen it happen? I highly doubt it unless the truck was ramped off a set of railroad tracks or something... and bumpstops won't do squat in that situation anyway.

They are ONLY there for driver/passenger comfort, nothing more.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mine dont look like that i know for sure...in the rear they do but the fronts are round and i can def squish them around with my finger...not strong at all

·
RaNdOm UsEr
527 Posts
well I put in 3" coils in mine,, removed bumpstops,, it bang every bump, so i cut the bumpstops and put back in, still bangs , hate it.....
so i say consider which way your goin to go withit

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
does anyone know where to get the stickers of the s-10 outlined and its dragging frame or am i the only one who knows what im talking about

·
Registered
269 Posts
well I put in 3" coils in mine,, removed bumpstops,, it bang every bump, so i cut the bumpstops and put back in, still bangs , hate it.....
so i say consider which way your goin to go withit
What brand springs? My Ground Force coils are pretty stiff, I love it. I have to hit a really big chuck hole to bottom the arm, you hear it in the cab more than you really feel it. The minor driveshaft vibration bothers me more.

42,004 Posts
Have you personally seen it happen? I highly doubt it unless the truck was ramped off a set of railroad tracks or something... and bumpstops won't do squat in that situation anyway.

They are ONLY there for driver/passenger comfort, nothing more.
actually yes i have, i've seen the frame rails develop cracks from the control arm hitting it repeatedly or from the rear end hitting because it wasn't notched. i know from experience that at 5'' in the front it bottoms out quite a bit, maybe not so much at 4'' or so but it's better to be safe than sorry.

ohio- i just realized that you have the big round soft zq8 bump stops. you can try swapping them for the ones like i posted or go to parts store and get some universal polyurethane bump stops. i know pst makes some and they're only about 8 bucks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
actually yes i have, i've seen the frame rails develop cracks from the control arm hitting it repeatedly or from the rear end hitting because it wasn't notched. i know from experience that at 5'' in the front it bottoms out quite a bit, maybe not so much at 4'' or so but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Yeah, on the rear, sure. Once the leaves flex past a certain point, they don't put up much of a fight. Add in a flimsy C-channel frame rail and that's a recipe for disaster.

But on the front with a basic 3 inch spring, by the time the arm makes contact with the frame, there's so much spring pressure that by the time it hit's, most of the force is gone. But with a shorter spring, it will hit harder like you say, and much more often.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts