S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to know it all : horsepower, mpg , mods that youve done, track times, ease of installation, and your personal opinion of what you think of it. this will really help out in my descion making thanks guys and pics are always wanted

·
Registered
351 Posts
i want to know it all : horsepower, mpg , mods that youve done, track times, ease of installation, and your personal opinion of what you think of it. this will really help out in my descion making thanks guys and pics are always wanted

From my point of view - 1993 reg cab, short box, '02 5.3L, 4L65e
It's a lot more expensive than I anticipated. I'm going on 3 1/2 months and I'm just now getting the exhaust on and ready to roll out of the garage for the first time. I originally planned on $6k for a budget, I'm well over that by a couple/few grand. That being said, I bought my 5.3L engine with all front accessories for $1000 at a local junkyard with 47k miles on it.

From the video's I have seen and rode reports I have read on here, I should be extremely happy and have a reliable v8 S-10.

Don't let me post deter you away from building "your own" hot rod truck. I'm just telling you my experience so far.

·
3 crazy projects!!he,he
1,665 Posts
i been going on for like 3 months now and still WATing for parts, i have at least 6000.00 inluding motor, i still have more to go.take your time and find the right paRTS .WHATS BEEN HOLDIN GUP ON ME IS THE PARTS AND THE TIME TO ACTUALLY WORK ON IT.

·
3,878 Posts
Three things I would recommend as a strategy for your project:

1. Determine how you on intend on using your project.
2. Determine a budget
3. Evaluate your skill level for a project of this nature, if you intended on doing it yourself.

·
LSxtremin FoLyfe
2000 s10 SCSB
1,434 Posts
Yeah I'm at about $5000 and its almost runnin, I did all the fabbing myself and my buddy did my harness, a few more hours wit the wiring and she is ready to roll, its not a bad job if you have moderate skills and leave the wiring to the pros, so when I have it runnin ill share my experience of it, but hell its got to be 10x better than the v6

·
More Go then Show
1,176 Posts
I think i've spent around 8000 on the swap now. But i have custom radiator, condenser, AC (soon), flex-a-lite fans, trans cooler, engine and trans with 35000 miles.

It all depends what you want to put in to it.

But on the fun side... I've been driving for a little over 6 months now daily. I drive 70 miles just to school and back everyday. I was getting around 25mpg highway with 3.73. So i don't know what i'm getting now with 3.08's because i just moved and i don't drive on the highway anymore.

I do wish i would have cammed it when i put it in, but i can always do that later.

From what i've seen i think they run around a high 13 to very low 14 with just the exhaust, tune, and intake. But i have not run at a track yet. Looking to try out the track once i get the new tune from jared.

·
a.k.a Matt
211 Posts
I'm at around $11000 but if you look in my sig you'll see why. I was going to do this one as my daily driver but I think that is going to be the next one that I do. Like Phil said, before you start jumpin in and buying parts, figure out what you want to use the truck for, how much you want to spend on the swap, and are you capable of tackling the swap (referring to skill level).

Also, the biggest time hog of my project has been parts that are on backordered. I recommend determining all the parts you are going to need ahead of time. Then call around or search the web to check the parts availability. Order all of the backordered parts ahead of time...I know I wish I would have!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts