S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a HP 4550Z with a micro atx mobo (dont ask me, its what i been told) a celeron 466 and 64 mb. I was told i could upgrade mobos and get a athlon or p3 at around 800-1 gig. However, they didnt know if my power supply from this old computer from 98 would fry a new mobo i put in. It says 100w max continuous on the outside of the power box thingy. Can someone please tell me what micro atx mobos I could upgrade to, or if I could even, that would allow me to get a faster processor and crap? Thanks.

·
The change has come. . .
101 Posts
The 466 is outdated and you should not even use it. I have a 2.4 AMD processor with a 100watt power supply running it. The only thing is that Microsoft processors run the proograms better than an AMD because AMD is not name brand. Though, AMD is the up and coming company and you cannot beat the almost microsoft like performance for the great price. Any other questions just hit me up.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So can I upgrade that motherboard to one that can support a pentium or amd processor with the current power supply then?

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welp, i cant just use the box and all the crap thats in there and just change the motherboard, maybe get a combo drive, and some more RAM with a new processor?

·
Registered
368 Posts
K.SwiZzle said:
The only thing is that Microsoft processors run the proograms better than an AMD because
Dude, Microsoft doesnt make processors.

Cloudguy, worst case scenario is you buy a bigger power supply. You can get a 400W for under $50, its not a big deal to replace. Just make sure its an ATX power supply.

You can most likely use your existing case as long as its ATX standard. If not, basic new cases are in the $40 range.

You wont blow your motherboard up either if the 100W isnt enough, it just wont operate. Here's a site where you can get a rough estimate of your power needs:

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
you could put another micro atx board in it, likely a pos same with power supply, if you were to buy a real tower you could just swap your drives out istall a much better mobo, and likely it will come with a better power supply.

·
plastih8r
856 Posts
K.SwiZzle said:
The only thing is that Microsoft processors run the proograms better than an AMD because AMD is not name brand.
:wtf:
well the one point was already made... but furthermore AMD isn't a name brand?? Maybe not back in 95' but i dont know what rock you've been living under. AMD is the shiznit:pimp:

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea it looks like ill be getting an AMD XP 2600+ mobo and processor combo. I was told that MSI is a good MOBO company to buy from.

·
Premium Member
16,419 Posts
AMD is pretty good stuff. Check out toms hardware.com and look for the video of one when they take the fan off it tho... lol

·
needs a new project
1,693 Posts
newegg.com is has the best all around prices for everything you need to build a computer. thats where i went to buy most my stuff. with your power supply, you should just buy an new one anyways. more power is better. and in your case it was a few years old, so its good to upgrade and get a better one too. might as well buy a case while youre at it. i got a case and a 500watt power supply for around $100 on ebay brand new. check around on there and youll find some good case and power supply deals.

if you have any more specific questions, pm me or talk to me on AIM, my screen name is - kidintraffic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts