S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To begin with I am new to S-10 Trucks. My neighbor has a 1988 ??? S-10 Tahoe pick up for sale.
It has been setting for 2-3 years in his driveway.
It is not rotted out...just a few small rust through holes in the bed. It has not been started in 2-3 years. The interior is decent.
My question is...What is it worth ?? And is it worth fixing it up...What are the drawbacks to this model ??..and am I getting in to a never ending money pit ??
Any and all thoughts will be welcomed.

THANKS STEVE---OHIO

·
B4U Task Force Admin
33,628 Posts
To begin with I am new to S-10 Trucks. My neighbor has a 1988 ??? S-10 Tahoe pick up for sale.
It is not rotted out...just a few small rust through holes in the bed. It has not been started in 2-3 years. The interior is decent.
My question is...What is it worth ?? And is it worth fixing it up...What are the drawbacks to this model ??..and am I getting in to a never ending money pit ??

THANKS STEVE---OHIO
OHIO...sounds like a rust belt truck. Get under it and check the frame...throughly.

·
Been there Done it
15,261 Posts
Smack the sides of the frame with the round end of a 2 lb ball peen hammer on either side of the welded seam in the frame. Directly below the rear of each door. Bet it punches right thru. If the frame is good it'll bounce off. Hit the same spot a couple times on each side of the truck.
I'm in the salt belt and I've got 2 frames that are10 and 12 years newer and it went right thru both sides of both. Salt gets inside and no matter how well you wash the truck you won't get it out. You'd need to submerge it in a baking soda solution after every trip in the winter to neutralize the acid salt creates.
Holes in the bed indicate serious rust issues.

Reactions: S15E83

·
Registered
459 Posts

THANKS STEVE---OHIO
You've come to the rite spot for opinions. A garage kept lo mile Arizona unit is usually ok.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well...I went and looked at the S10 again today. it had not run in a year and fired right up. 2.2 motor automatic. the frame is fine as I did check it with a hammer as suggested. I will need paint and a new headliner. Here is the kicker...14,500 original miles...one owner. The guy is asking 2K for it....and it is a 1989. Any thoughts on value or issues to look for mechanically will be appreciated...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well...I went and looked at the S10 again today. it had not run in a year and fired right up. 2.2 motor automatic. the frame is fine as I did check it with a hammer as suggested. I will need paint and a new headliner. Here is the kicker...14,500 original miles...one owner. The guy is asking 2K for it....and it is a 1989. Any thoughts on value or issues to look for mechanically will be appreciated...
You shoulda bought it on the spot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts