S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a CAI for my 98 Jimmy and there are a lot to choose from. I don't wanna waste my money going with a K&N or INJEN if i can get the same thing for cheaper. I was doing some searching on ebay and found some for under $50 bux and they look the same.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=2433655583

is the one i'm really considering. will someone tell me if its alright?

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
the only thing you're really doing with that kit is replacing the factory filter element with a cone filter. i didnt see any heat shield, which means its not a CAI, and it doesnt replace any of the pipe behind the MAF. you could make one of those yourself for less than $55 they want

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would i even see an increase in performance at all? I was told there would be an increase in gas mileage too. Plus I was told that i'd still get that cool intake sucking noise when i step on it.

·
12,507 Posts
well i got a K&N FIPK2 for my cpi - its a totally different kit, but i did notice an increase in power (nowhere near 10-15 hp tho - thats bullshit), and no change in gas mileage. you MIGHT see a slight increase, but it'd be better to buy a real CAI (AEM, Volant, K&N) or make your own. you do get a noide too - mine whistles, people sometimes ask me if i have a turbo on it

·
Registered
78 Posts
Majikull said:
I am looking into buying a CAI for my 98 Jimmy and there are a lot to choose from. I don't wanna waste my money going with a K&N or INJEN if i can get the same thing for cheaper. I was doing some searching on ebay and found some for under $50 bux and they look the same.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=2433655583

is the one i'm really considering. will someone tell me if its alright?
I did the same basic thing, buying one off eBay. All it really does is replace the stock intake box, which is a whole lot of sound deadening, with a cone filter and a pipe. I found it makes a nice sound (depending on your preferences, I guess) and there might be a smidgen better throttle response if you go with it. Getting an exhaust would be a huge help, since there is no real need for more airflow in with no subsequent increase in ability to get it out. I'm happy with the purchase for now, but if I ever got serious about making power with this engine, I'd want to get a K&N FPIK or something.

J

·
0 Posts
Dont waste your money on those half ass ebay kits, get the full thing, K&N FIPK GEN II is worth it, you might beable to find a deal on it, heatshield, smooth design all the way to the tb, i wouldn't go any other way

·
Registered
351 Posts
i have the intake off ebay and didnt notice anything but more noise until i made my own headshield. i made my out of thin metal and painted it with heat repealeant spray paint that i found at autozone. seems to work pretty nice and a decent increase in performance and sound.

·
32,805 Posts
JWXtreme43 said:
Dont waste your money on those half ass ebay kits, get the full thing, K&N FIPK GEN II is worth it, you might beable to find a deal on it, heatshield, smooth design all the way to the tb, i wouldn't go any other way
The K&N FIPK GEN II is not worth it.

I'm not saying it's a bad intake, it in fact is a good intake, but not for the price. The guy is looking for hp/mileage imrovement for the best price. The price for a FIPK would at least be $240, what he's looking at is about $40. The hp difference between the two is only about 3 and the mileage difference maybe 1 per gallon. Now if you think that extra maybe 3hp and 1 mile is worth $200, then go ahead and spend it. But there a lots a articles and reviews showing that the FIPK is not all it's hyped to be.

·
12,507 Posts
yeah, i paid about $270 for mine, and other than looking under there and seeing a scuffed (thanx to the hood liner) big, black plastic tube, the gains werent worth it. i should have bought a bigger cone filter, made my own heat shield from sheet metal, and gone ot my dad's shop and fabbed up a metal tube.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The fake ones dont work. The filter looks the same & makes some noise but I had one & lost time on my QM. I suggest getting a nice one as suggested above. People are always selling them used on here & ebay. If you want to go inexpensive now here are some suggestions. At one point you could get one from SLP for $99 if they still have any. I also saw the the airaid that has the nice heatshield on it for around $129 on ebay. If you want to go even less expensive go to ebay & type "intake tube". There is a guy who sells them for around $15-17(+shipping) & they are a quality piece. Then type in "K&N cone" or K&N filter". They are around $33(+ shipping) for a new one. I suggest the 3"inlet filter that is the same circumferance on the top & bottom. It fits in the area under the hood much better & gave me better results. To take full advantage of this you need some type of heat shield. If you can find an Injen heat shield, they are the best because they force the cold air into your filter. If not just type in "heat shield" & they have some cheap ones for around $8 (+shipping). So for around $75 or so you will have a much better performer, that isnt just looks. Good Luck!!

·
proud stepsider
519 Posts
I got a drop in K&N filter and cut out the bottom of my airbox. a friend of mine has a 99 4.3 (excab stepside just like mine) with the FIPK Gen II and we swapped, and to be honest I can't really tell a difference. I do like the heatshield though..I may fab one up up. I applied the 200 bucks I saved towards a tonneau

1 - 11 of 11 Posts