S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the resistances should be when testing an ignition coil for a 1995 S10 with 2.2 engine. I need to know for the slots that plug onto the ICM and also between the two poles the spark plug wires attach to. And... if the two male prongs on the ICM that the coil slides onto can be tested with multi meter I'd greatly appreciate if someone can briefly explain how to test the ICM while the coils are off the engine. Thanks !

·
Registered
584 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the resistances should be when testing an ignition coil for a 1995 S10 with 2.2 engine. I need to know for the slots that plug onto the ICM and also between the two poles the spark plug wires attach to. And... if the two male prongs on the ICM that the coil slides onto can be tested with multi meter I'd greatly appreciate if someone can briefly explain how to test the ICM while the coils are off the engine. Thanks !
Not related, but I've had several coils ohm good off the vehicle but weren't ok when powered. A known good unit seems a better test , maybe.

·
time to get cereal
7,358 Posts
You just take the plug wires off the coil and crank it. The spark should jump across the terminals. I usually pull the fuel pump fuse when doing this.

·
It's mostly BS
2,971 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses so far. I already have the coils and wires off the car so checking for spark isn't an option at this point. Plus right now I don't have anyone to crank the engine for me while I look for spark. I found a video on youtube for a different engine that said the resistance between the slots that plug onto the ICM should be less than 1. His coil had 3 slots rather than two and he tested by connecting the one that power comes into one at a time with the other two. Since this is a different coil, I'm not sure if the resistance should be the same for my S10 2.2. If it is, my coils are bad. I'd also like to test the ICM for power before putting new coils back on if mine are indeed bad. Trying to get this done before the cold comes back. Surely there must be a source that says what the resistance should be for the 2.2 ???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw this article earlier - It seems to do a good job for testing the ICM with someone cranking the engine, but doesn't really say much about testing the coil pack - which i think I could do the spark test for once it's all back together and I can get my girlfriend to crank the engine for me. She has a flu right now and is mostly taking medication and sleeping.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You just take a video with your phone...
You just take a video with your phone...
yeah, that makes sense. Well, from googling and youtubing I've been able to find the resistance specs for Toyota Corrola's , Cadillacs, a Pontiac Fiero, and a Ford F150. but not a Chevy 2.2 lol. If no one who reads this thread knows about what it should be, I'll be ordering new coils tomorrow and will check their resistances and then i'll know. I'll post an update in case anyone in the future does stuff ass backwards like me lol. I took the coils off because 3 spark plugs were fouled with gas and the truck seemed to only have 1 cylinder firing. checked the wires as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If any one comes looking for this info in the future, I ordered a set of coils and the site listed the resistances in the description (most places like o'reilly, autozone, etc. don't). The primary resistance is 0.45 ohms and secondary 6.88K ohms

·
Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
1,719 Posts
If any one comes looking for this info in the future, I ordered a set of coils and the site listed the resistances in the description (most places like o'reilly, autozone, etc. don't). The primary resistance is 0.45 ohms and secondary 6.88K ohms
Maybe you could post the link to that source for others to also reference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts