S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, last year I bought an '02 S10 2.2L 5spd. She's gotten me back and forth to my Dr. appointments like a trooper.

I now want to upgrade the radio to something that's double/1.85 DIN or whatever Chevy & AC Delco chose as a size & fits the dash so I can use a backup cam & doesn't require using a dremel and pulling the dash to cut everything apart to squeeze a shiat head unit in.

I can do all the wiring myself, no problem, but I don't wanna pull the whole dash to dremel it all out.

Are there ANY aftermarket double-din radios for the 2002 models that don't require hacking the dash apart? I'll deal with wiring, but cutting the faux vinyl & subsequent dash cracking, I'll pass on.

I just want a modern head unit that fits. Everything else I can wire up (perks of being a welder/fitter).

·
Registered
297 Posts
Metra offers a kit to allow for a double din install. I think some cutting is involved:

When I was looking into options for a friend's '02 Avalanche, a stereo with a flip out screen seems to finally be the winner

Otherwise I thought I read somewhere an 03-04 Bravada bezel and stereo pocket could fit and allow for a double din. I didn't look much into it so I don't know if it will work or if it's even a thing, hopefully someone else can chime in on that one.

If you're only reason for the screen is the backup camera, they have rear view mirrors with a screen built in that can be used for backup cameras. But the stereo offers way more functionality and viewing room.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking into options for a friend's '02 Avalanche, and what seems to be a good option is a stereo with a flip out screen.

Otherwise I thought I read somewhere an 03-04 Bravada bezel and stereo pocket could fit and allow for a double din. I didn't look much into it so I don't know if it will work or if it's even a thing, hopefully someone else can chime in on that one
FLIPS THE TABLE

Thank you! I'll look into those. I'd forgotten about flip-out screens. Last time I dealt with those was in 2001 in my 1982 Camaro, when single/double DIN was an actual standardized size.

I'm trying to adapt my S10 to my blindness but there's fark-all aftermarket solutions without paying an arm and a leg (which I can't afford, having already paid an eye).

A single-DIN radio I can adapt if it's new enough. That's just splitting/splicing/soldering wires.

·
Been there Done it
12,468 Posts
If you buy the Metra correct connector for you truck you won't have to hack up the wiring. Should ever sell or trade the truck you could then simply plug your OE radio back in and move the new one to your new truck or sell it.
All 2002-1/2 thru 04 S-series vehicles were double din from the factory so there are GM dash bezels in the junkyards that fit your dash and a double din. Requires a few mods to the din and a half opening tho.
I have a 2017 mid size SUV with a backup camera. It is somewhat useful for seeing right behind the vehicle, but don't over estimate the usefulness. You still need to use all 3 mirrors and have your head on a swivel when backing up or changing lanes. A lot of people think what you will see in that 4x7" screen will be the same as sitting in the 3rd row of seats facing the rear of the vehicle. NOT. It's more like what you would see if you punched a hole where your license plate is and looked thru that from the front seat.
Granted some of the newest upscale SUVs have mutli angle lenses and are much improved, but that's not what you'll be getting with an inexpensive backup camera.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts