S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SNAUSBERRIES!!!!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yesterday after i got the truck my friend in his auto 02 Cavalier with the NON ECOTEC 2.2L wanted to race me, i still wasnt used to the truck, and im still far from used to it for that matter.

But anyway, heres how it went. 1st gear i was level with him but as soon as i shifted into 2nd he started to pull on me and it was pretty much over.

I think i could have beaten him if i held 1st a little longer, but the engine gets so damn loud im scared to push it too far... Im pretty sure a rev limiter will kick in wont it?? Im just afraid to push it too far till i get a tach in there, since my last engine self destructed at high rpms under boost lol.

Anyway, anyone got a tach for sale?? this kids 2.2 redlines just before 6, so would it be safe to shift at 6k on this engine?? And does anyone know at what rpm the rev limiter kicks in?

Thanks for sticking with me as i progress through my "noobeness" in owning a s-10... Which my s-10 is now in the shop so hopefully it will feel a lil better when i get it back.

·
Registered
408 Posts
You can get a tach at your local auto parts store for about $40 and they are real simple to install, power it and there is a white pick-up wire right behind the gauge cluster. And the redline for the motors is 5500-6000 and engine cutout is 6300rpm

·
AA
627 Posts
I have a 95 with the 2.2l when racing or when I'm at the track, I shift from 1st to 2nd at about 5000 which is around 22 mph, 2nd to 3rd at around 45 mph or 4500, and 3rd to 4th at 75 mph or 5500... I never make it into 5th.... The rev limiter on 2.2's is 6250rpm's and like bfortunato said red line is between 5500-6000..... Once in a while I'll push 1st up to 6000 just to keep the injectors clean....lol... and yea, any auto parts store will have tach's - BTW, what year is your truck - I only ask cuz it depends on where you have to tap in to the computer to get the tac signal...

·
SNAUSBERRIES!!!!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Its a 97, but i did read that writeup about the wire beeing in the harness behind the dashboard.

Which reminds me, when i installed my headunit i broke the damn hazard switch.. that wasnt too bad, but then i had to mess with it and they came on, but wouldnt go off... ended up wedging a piece of the paper floor mats i got with the truck between the 2 metal connecters lol.

I was lookin at one of these things.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2451416144&category=33679

My only concern is if its gunna look extremely ghey up on the dashboard, i never believed in a 10,000 rpm tach on something you shift at 6... my other thought was just get a single guage pod and a small tach to mount on the pillar.

·
SNAUSBERRIES!!!!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it dangerous to take this motor to the rev limiter? Just out of curiosity, the power seems to drop off a lil

·
Registered
408 Posts
I dont see the need to go to the red line... the power band ends just before it anyway.

·
AA
627 Posts
exactly, your peak HP is just above 4000 rpm's, I just go a little farther so that the rpm's don't drop off so much when i shift into the next gear....

·
AA
627 Posts
BTW, I have about 197,000 miles on my 2.2, and I've push it all the time - it's a very good engine - don't worry too much about pushing it into the higher rpm's....

That tach on ebay aint too bad - I've seen some just like that in other s-dimes.

·
SNAUSBERRIES!!!!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heh im still gettin used to this truck, second day driving it and im just getting comfortable shifting from 2-3 a lil faster, ive driven many 5-speeds before but this is so much diff with the longer shifter, im fine on the 1-2 obviously, and 3-4 but that 2-3 shift makes me nervous as hell... dont wunna drop it back into 1st.

·
SNAUSBERRIES!!!!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, im stuck in the house tonight cus its back at the dealer till monday to have that low rpm knock checked out. But the truck only has 75,000 miles and feels very solid, just has a couple odd sounds to it. Well, its also getting a new fuel sending unit, but that doesnt have anything to due with the motor.

I love 30 day unlimited warranties on used vehicles

·
AA
627 Posts
if your haveing problems shifting from 2 - 3, just thing about it, if you go to shift, push the shifter straightup, just a tap... the spring in the shifter will bring it directly into neutral... straight up from there is 3rd... basically, let the shifter do all the work, don't even think about trying to find 3rd, the shifter is made to make it easy to find those middle gears...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts