S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 400 HP chevy SB in my 87 shortbed. I don't know what the **** radiator is in it now but i can tell you its not doing the job. Its a copper two row that doesn't really fit. Anytime i get caught in traffic it shoots over 200 in no time, thats with an ADDITIONAL Electric fan. I need another one... I don't have 280 bucks for a BeCool so does anyone have anything?

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
Have you look in Summit Racing catalog, they have alum. radiators for around $180. They aren't BeCool, they are summit brand, but they look nice!

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
yeah summit has specialty radiators just for V8 swaps in S10s. but be weary, a radiator that is too big will make your engine run hot as well so choose your unit carefullly. lata

dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Radiator

Grififn makes an aluminum radiator that fits perfectly with a short water pump and no need for electric fans, get one at lane automotive in watervelite michigan for like 130 bucks

·
Registered
745 Posts
Coolin it

I have a 3 core heavy duty rad.out of an old 79 camaro in mine,long water pump and until this year ran a flex fan,and never had a coolin problem with my 383.I have mounted 2, 12in spals in front of the rad.now and hope its enough to cool the beast in traffic.I dumped the flex fan to gain some easy horses.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rad

I don't know what else it could be. If i sit in traffic for more then say 5 minutes it shoots over 200 degree's and its not even hot outside yet. What i can't understand that it leaks at the cap... so its not pressurized and i've replaced the cap twice. It leaks at the cap gets low on water and there you have it. The rad is a 3 core copper - looks aftermarket. I have flex fan and an additional electric fan pushing on the front that i switch on when i get in traffic. It helps slow down the over heating process but doesn't stop it.

·
S10 on NUTS
17 Posts
i have a vette radiator with a single 16" electric fan that works fine so far. i bought it at advanced auto parts for $130. its aluminum and fits just right.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I noticed you have 305 heads with 2.02 valves. You could possibly have a cracked head. I had the same problem with my 400sb, and couldn't figure it out. After I sold it, the guy tore it down and found a cracked valve seat. My oil didn't have water in it, and the coolant didn't show signs of oil, but water did show up on the oil cap/ breather.

A leaking cap could be caused by the compression leakage into the water passages if your head is cracked, causing exessive pressure in the cooling system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts