S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 97 4.3 s10 w/ the ext cab and my stock muffler is getting a hole in it so i need a new one. i just don know if i should go with a stock replacement or go with some thing like magnaflow. im mostly concerned about mpg and price, but some extra power wont hurt.

·
Registered
450 Posts
mpg wont really get hurt by a muffler, more likely helped, less pressure, easier flow for the exhaust. id get a magnaflow, and if you want it quiet, just a longer bodied one. 20-24 inch muffler will be pretty quiet, especially the 24 inch (thats overall length btw, i think the 20 inch has a 14 inch body, and the 24 has an 18 inch body) theres a website called performance peddler, find the model number of the magnaflow you want, then enter it in their search. offer them a price, and they'll tell you the lowest they'll take. its free shipping, and its ridiculously cheap! if your tailpipe is good, keep it, and if not and you wanna save some money, throw a turndown right after the muffler. hope it helps and sorry for the novel haha

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yeah im trying to get the best mpg possible for the lowest price. im not looking to make it loud either.

also i would like it to be a direct fit because im trying to not change much and make it easier to install

·
Registered
450 Posts
ya i hear ya. a muffler wont really do a major major increase in mpgs, unless the old one is practically just blocked up completely. if you want direct fit, get 2.25 inch diameter in/outlet, offset in, center out. just look at it and measure the size of the body, and add 6 inches (3 for each side) for the inlet/outlet on the new muffler. that will give you the length that you wanna look for in the new muffler. make sense?

·
Registered
450 Posts
also the bigger the muffler, the quieter it will be, so if you want a bigger than stock one, since you will be cutting anyways, just cut it a few more inches further up on the inlet to make room for it. a 24 inch magnaflow should be pretty quiet, but add a good sound. i looked it up for you, shoot them an offer of 70 and itll tell you the best price and give you a coupon code for it. thatll be your best price for a magnaflow anywhere.

http://www.performancepeddler.com/s...ParamTxt=11255&x=0&y=0&txtsearchParamType=ALL

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sweet thanks. also what would be the best way to attach it without ripping the whole exhaust system out

·
Registered
450 Posts
get some band clamps. i dont know exactly where to find them. get a hack saw or something of the sort, and measure where it needs cut (measure twice!), cut it on both ends then put the band clamps on. if you get the right size pipe on the muffler and the right band clamps itll be a pretty self explanatory install man!

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
I believe the inlet to the muffler is actually 2.5" and the outlet it 2.25". I recommend a 2.5" in/out muffler and just use a reducer after it. You can get band clamps at jegs or summit for about 8 bucks.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
also the bigger the muffler, the quieter it will be, so if you want a bigger than stock one, since you will be cutting anyways, just cut it a few more inches further up on the inlet to make room for it. a 24 inch magnaflow should be pretty quiet, but add a good sound. i looked it up for you, shoot them an offer of 70 and itll tell you the best price and give you a coupon code for it. thatll be your best price for a magnaflow anywhere.

http://www.performancepeddler.com/s...ParamTxt=11255&x=0&y=0&txtsearchParamType=ALL
Dan at Performance Peddler rules. He cut me such a good deal
on a Ca compliant cat..

·
Registered
450 Posts
ya if im not mistaken i read your post about it? i looked it up and i couldnt believe the prices! that ones bookmarked for sure. and warren i never heard that it was 2.5 reduced to 2.25, but hey i havent exactly gone and measured it. it very well might be. if you can badmofo529 get something to measure if you want exact size, but 2.5 wont hurt at all mpg wise or performance wise. i personally would get stock size but i usually get mine welded. no big difference either way!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts