1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Negative 10
22,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok for those of you that do not know
i am a tech.
i have been working on cars for years

recently i have been doing a lot of side jobs to get myself some extra cash.
i recently finished rebuilding my friends dads motor for his truck.
well his brother (yes i knoww this is a long trail of people to fallow)
anyways..
his brother has a 2 bay garage that he shut down years ago.
he called me tonight and told me he found out about me from my friends dad and we talked for quite some time.
he wants me to reopen the shop (with no cost to me)
but it will be MY shop.
i will have all rights to the shop and pretty much be owner.
so tomorrow i am going to talk to him in person and check this place out.
if it all looks good i will have my own shop.
i am EXTREMELY excited at the moment.
i have wanted to get out of the job that im at now and start a shop but i know damn well that i would not be able to afford that.
but now that its pretty much being givin to me,
i think it might actually be happening
hopefully all goes well i and will soon be the proud owner of a shop at the age of 20.

cliff notes - got offered ownership of a shut down shop that i can re open at no cost because my friends dads brother owns it already.

·
iFail
10,840 Posts
if there's no cost involved in opening it back up, give it a shot. and use paragraph's, lol

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
do you already have all the tools you'll need top run your own shop? or does the shop still have tools in it or what.

·
Negative 10
22,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you already have all the tools you'll need top run your own shop? or does the shop still have tools in it or what.
yea i have just about everything.
off the top of my head i really cant think of things i dont have.
the shop still has

2 brake lathes (sp)
2 full fuctional lifts
tire balancer

other than that tho i have rediculous amounts of tools

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,783 Posts
good luck! just make sure you dont get screwed later down the line when there might be trouble between you and the shop owner

·
NOFAT1S
579 Posts
Hopefully you have a good reputation amongst a LOT of people. Mechanics owning and running small shops around here are a dime a dozen and barely make ends meet.

·
'02 Sonoma X-Cab
4,836 Posts
You should hire a master mechanic, like somebody you KNOW does a great job and has a reputation. You want to get somebody in there that can bring you business. Also, depends on where it's located. A local shop around here used to have a great spot, made lots of money, and the people raised the rent so they moved, and now nobody knows where they are so they're struggling. Also, think of liability issues. If one of those lifts falls on one of your employee's or something, they can sue the crap out of you, and if you just started, you're in deep trouble. Do you have any bills at the moment? It will probably be slow right off the bat, so if you HAVE to make a certain amount per month, you probably won't until you built a clientel. And last but not least! Do not screw people over! Just because she doesn't realize there's no such thing as headlight fluid, doesn't mean that her dad won't come kick your behind, ha. You might even want to go around to some business that have delivery trucks and tell them you'll give them a discount and stuff, especially like an auto parts delivery place. You give them a discount, they deliver you parts.

·
Bowtie FTW
1,161 Posts
You should hire a master mechanic, like somebody you KNOW does a great job and has a reputation. You want to get somebody in there that can bring you business. Also, depends on where it's located. A local shop around here used to have a great spot, made lots of money, and the people raised the rent so they moved, and now nobody knows where they are so they're struggling. Also, think of liability issues. If one of those lifts falls on one of your employee's or something, they can sue the crap out of you, and if you just started, you're in deep trouble. Do you have any bills at the moment? It will probably be slow right off the bat, so if you HAVE to make a certain amount per month, you probably won't until you built a clientel. And last but not least! Do not screw people over! Just because she doesn't realize there's no such thing as headlight fluid, doesn't mean that her dad won't come kick your behind, ha. You might even want to go around to some business that have delivery trucks and tell them you'll give them a discount and stuff, especially like an auto parts delivery place. You give them a discount, they deliver you parts.
def. agree. so kenny...... need some extra helping hands man? you know im a master at those zip ties!:cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts