S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was Craftsman day at Sears, and I bought a new jack. I wanted to try it out so I decided to rotate the tires and do and oil change. While lowering the front of the blazer, it slipped off of the jack and the head of the jack hit the oil pan towards the front of the pan. It left a small ding which I didn't think was too serious. When I went to start the car, I heard this repeated clunking, like a piece of metal spinning and hitting another piece of metal. I am guessing that the dent in the pan is big enough to cause it to hit something inside of the pan. Does anyone have any idea what this may be?

What a way to end a Sunday. Now a simple oil change is going to cost me a tow to the shop, tons in labor, and if they can't hammer out the dents, a new oil pan. FU*K!!! Does anyone have any idea how much / how long this job will take?

Vterp
 
Joined
·
15,113 Posts
well, odds are the crank is now hitting the pan. its gonna cost alot in labor cause i believe to get access to the pan on any S-Series, you have to remove if not at least lift the engine up to remove it.

im sure someone might be able to help you out with a used pan, cause getting one from the deal is gonna be $$$ probably and I dont know of many aftermarket pans.

best of luck, but odds are its gonna cost a pretty penny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NJTy180 said:
well, odds are the crank is now hitting the pan. its gonna cost alot in labor cause i believe to get access to the pan on any S-Series, you have to remove if not at least lift the engine up to remove it.

im sure someone might be able to help you out with a used pan, cause getting one from the deal is gonna be $$$ probably and I dont know of many aftermarket pans.

best of luck, but odds are its gonna cost a pretty penny.
DAMN! You think it's possible to hammer out the dents? They look pretty minor from the outside.
 
Joined
·
15,113 Posts
vterp said:
DAMN! You think it's possible to hammer out the dents? They look pretty minor from the outside.
as long as the metal isnt fatigued it should be fine, however your gonna have to bang it out from the inside, so even without having to get a new pan, its still going to be costly unless you pull the motor yourself.
 

·
Lunatic
Joined
·
257 Posts
what about taking it to a body shop and having them pop it with a slide hammer, the newer style that spot welds a rod to pull on?
 

·
import killer
Joined
·
2,470 Posts
Crazy J said:
what about taking it to a body shop and having them pop it with a slide hammer, the newer style that spot welds a rod to pull on?
alot of times when you go to pull the dent out. the rivet they weld on there might pull out and leave a hole in the pan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
940 Posts
even if you do have a hole in the pan and can not hammer it out a good welder should be able to weld a peice of metal on there for you, when we swapped in the 6 speed in my truck the tranny shop cut and welded my oil pan on the corner, they run alot of drag cars and said they do it all the time, we pulled the motor about 8,000 miles later i looked over the pan and it was in great shape no leaks at all from the welds, and all of it was done in the truck , just a though.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
To change my oil pan the engine had to be lifted and the front differencial house had to be moved forward, and the starter, lower bellhousing cover, and the exhaust came off. (4wd though on the 2wd I think you gotta just lift the engine.)
And I dont know if its an aftermarket pan, but the one I replaced it with has the drain in a different spot now, otherwise it is the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rodknock said:
if you have a first gen 4.3 88-93 i have an oil pan in perfect condition for free man ---i have pics email me if your interested [email protected] just pay for shipping not trying to scam you
Thanks for the offer. I have a 95 though. I just brought had it towed in. We'll see what the damage is. I might just have them replace it as it has around 112K miles on it. Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
02gmczq8 said:
did it hit your oil pan or dust shield?
I'm fairly positive it hit the oil pan. It slid off of the cross member and hit the flat part of the pan that is just in front of the oil reservoir. it bent the cross member as well. I guess I didn't have it jacked in the right spot, although I did lift it where my chiltons told me to. From now on I will only be lifting from the side frame rails.
 

·
loco hombre
Joined
·
3,461 Posts
Just offhand, especially for oil changes and whatnot, wheel ramps are golden. Plus they tip the pan back to you get every drop out if you're picky like me ;) Good investment. Good luck with your pan work!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nater006 said:
Just offhand, especially for oil changes and whatnot, wheel ramps are golden. Plus they tip the pan back to you get every drop out if you're picky like me ;) Good investment. Good luck with your pan work!
I usually just crawl under the thing, but I had to be a kid and play with my new toy. Still stinks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
A shop dented the pan on my old '91 4x4 Jimmy a few years ago...
They were great guys who had always given me good service, so I couldn't get pissed at 'em.

They just welded a small nut onto the bottom of the pan.
Then they screwed a bolt into it, and pulled the dent.
Took the bolt out afterward, and left the nut.
No problems at all.
They told me that the nut was so small that the oil wouldn't have time to get hot, but they changed the oil afterwards anyway.

Stuff happens!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rick X said:
A shop dented the pan on my old '91 4x4 Jimmy a few years ago...
They were great guys who had always given me good service, so I couldn't get pissed at 'em.

They just welded a small nut onto the bottom of the pan.
Then they screwed a bolt into it, and pulled the dent.
Took the bolt out afterward, and left the nut.
No problems at all.
They told me that the nut was so small that the oil wouldn't have time to get hot, but they changed the oil afterwards anyway.

Stuff happens!
I just got off the phone with the shop. That is almost verbatim what they said they were going to do. Are you sure you don't work in Vermont? Maybe the guys at the shop came to this forum to figure out what to do! The brain power here is awesome. I hope they can make it work. If it doesn't, then it is going to be a $600 repair.
 

·
ask me about my crabs
Joined
·
81 Posts
taking the oil pan off with the motor in is a pain, but you can do it in a day if you have a car lift and a tranny shop next door that does work for free :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
you will haVE TO TAKE OFF THE PAN because it probably knocked off the oil pickup --and thats whats making the noice --take off that pan dont waste the money on removing the dent if thats messed up also just a little FYI for you
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top