S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a sub into the jump seat area of my 92 Sonoma SLE. I've been wanting to do this for a while but knew it would require a lot of time and planning to do it correctly and function how I want. I wanted the jump seat to look completely stock as if nothing was there. This truck has been broken into before and I didn't want anything visible that would tempt someone. I also wanted to use the jump seats frame and hinge so if I ever wanted to revert back to having a seat in that space, it would be no problem. The first thing I had to do was get the wires routed. The amp signal wire, sub volume knob, and RCA cables were easy enough. I just ran them under the carpet between the drivers seat and door jam. You can see them zip tied together in the first pic. The power wire was a bit more difficult. I had to drill the firewall and the best spot seemed to be about 1 inch below the emergency brake cable. I removed the windshield washer reservoir and was able to use a power drill relatively easily. You can see the red power wire coming through the firewall in the first pic also. I attached the terminal end of the power wire to the remote positive terminal on the firewall in the engine bay.

The sub I used is a Sound Ordinance B-8PTD. It was cheap at $150 and most importantly had dimensions that were just small enough to fit in the jump seat space. I don't need huge thunderous bass, just something to give my audio the fullness it was lacking. To mount the sub, I removed the back support and upholstery of the jump seat. The sub had to be mounted on the seat cushion but it was a few inches too long. I decided to use a piece of wood I had lying around that is about 4" x 1/2" to make up the difference. I went to home depot and bought 2 long thin metal brackets. I think I found them in the lumber section. They already had holes big enough for the bolts used on the jump seats and had smaller holes throughout for screws so no drilling was required on the brackets. After some measuring I put a 90 degree bend in each bracket so I could bolt them to the jump seat frame and screw the brackets to the underside of the wood. At this point I was able to mount the sub to the wood using wood screws and used the included velcro strip to mount the top of the sub to the seat foam. To my relief, the sub just barely fits and looks like nothing is there! It sounds fantastic and hits hard enough to shake the steering wheel if I turn it way up. Overall I couldn't be happier with how everything turned out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently installed a sub into the jump seat area of my 92 Sonoma SLE. I've been wanting to do this for a while but knew it would require a lot of time and planning to do it correctly and function how I want. I wanted the jump seat to look completely stock as if nothing was there. This truck has been broken into before and I didn't want anything visible that would tempt someone. I also wanted to use the jump seats frame and hinge so if I ever wanted to revert back to having a seat in that space, it would be no problem. The first thing I had to do was get the wires routed. The amp signal wire, sub volume knob, and RCA cables were easy enough. I just ran them under the carpet between the drivers seat and door jam. You can see them zip tied together in the first pic. The power wire was a bit more difficult. I had to drill the firewall and the best spot seemed to be about 1 inch below the emergency brake cable. I removed the windshield washer reservoir and was able to use a power drill relatively easily. You can see the red power wire coming through the firewall in the first pic also. I attached the terminal end of the power wire to the remote positive terminal on the firewall in the engine bay.

The sub I used is a Sound Ordinance B-8PTD. It was cheap at $150 and most importantly had dimensions that were just small enough to fit in the jump seat space. I don't need huge thunderous bass, just something to give my audio the fullness it was lacking. To mount the sub, I removed the back support and upholstery of the jump seat. The sub had to be mounted on the seat cushion but it was a few inches too long. I decided to use a piece of wood I had lying around that is about 4" x 1/2" to make up the difference. I went to home depot and bought 2 long thin metal brackets. I think I found them in the lumber section. They already had holes big enough for the bolts used on the jump seats and had smaller holes throughout for screws so no drilling was required on the brackets. After some measuring I put a 90 degree bend in each bracket so I could bolt them to the jump seat frame and screw the brackets to the underside of the wood. At this point I was able to mount the sub to the wood using wood screws and used the included velcro strip to mount the top of the sub to the seat foam. To my relief, the sub just barely fits and looks like nothing is there! It sounds fantastic and hits hard enough to shake the steering wheel if I turn it way up. Overall I couldn't be happier with how everything turned out.
How much rattle did you get? I'm like you, just want a boost to the sound, not an audio snob. I don't want to build a unit scratch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.