S-10 Forum banner

I hinged out my Taillight, for a custom gas filler

6K views 44 replies 34 participants last post by  summer_dying_fast 
#1 ·
i dedidet i needed to be kinda diferent from all the s-10's around my town so i decided to hinge out my taillight and relocate the gass filler nosile under thare, and then ware my gas filler used to be i have two standard 110v outlets, i thnk it will be funny at a show to see a tv plugged into a trucks gas filler. SO now my taillight is hinged thare (the picture is of a practice taillight , my stock ones), i think it is kinda kewl, and will make something different, i also have a neon light back thare to light it up at night when i need to fill up, or just show it off.

let me know what you think, oh yea, no i didnt shave the gas filler door, i am too poor, prob will next winter tho.

taylor

#10 ·
well i have been thinkin about it for a while now, and auctual time to do it was like only 1 or 2 hours, i just made my own hinge from dissasembled gas filler doors from different vheicles, i mixed the hinge setups from a 88 dodge shadow and a 87 grand am (both winter beater vehicles) and just came up with something that would work, it really isnt that hard, just have to position everything right, so that the edge of the light will clear the side of the truck, but still sit in the housing right. i will get more pics and a step by step process soon as i get my new taillights so i can make it final. Oh yea you have do do a little modification on the taillight to make it work, cut a few nothces off and a few plastic tabs. I will deffintntaly up date this probably saturday because that is the next day i can work on it

later

taylor

#16 ·
HA

Pull up to some full serve gas station with that and see what they do.:D

"oh no:eyes: its an electric truck and i dont know how to fill it"
and then it hits them:troutslap " oh thats right, i'm just an idiot that drives my moms tempo and i pump gas and the Stop'n Go"

lol

#17 ·
yea, my origional plan was to hinge out my Caddys, but then there was an overabundence of people who did that mod around my place (the caddy light mod) so i just decided to stick with the stock talilight and just hinge it out kinda.

****Newest mod to the hinged taillight situation, i ran a 3/8inch manual Air bag valve up to my cab and then the other end to a location behind the taillight and i am going to hit the switch causing the taillight to filp open when i want it to. All i need is to stop at the fitting store after work today so i can get a 1/2-1/2-3/8 compression fitting and i am gonna see how it works. Should be bad ass. If it all works and all, i am gonna take a video of it, so you guys can see it in action and the neon light behind the taillight.

later

taylor

#22 ·
there was some welding involved, and now there wouldnt be any difference what bed it was, the tails are all the same. I just picked up my new neons so that i can get some back light in thare, they will run off of an magnetic switch hopeing to work on this some more tommorow.

later

taylor

#23 ·
yeah, ive seen this mod at a couple shows last year...i wanted to do it, but im selling that truck. maybe ill do it when i get a fuel cell in the new truck. what did you do for fuel, by the way? waitin for the vids...also you described your air setup, but you only mentioned air line and a valve. what about an actuator of sorts? what exactly is gonna open the door? ok, lata

#25 ·
Great job..it is a good spot to hide you door popper for those who are shaved....but then you can't show it off....:doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.