S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to put a 96 z28 lt1 t56 drivetrain into a 93 2.8l s10. I have been looking thru the forums, most relatable ones are from years ago and get no response or they get closed. So before anyone says go check other forums, I have. Now I have been seeing a lot of people saying it would work best if I had a OBD1 harness and PCM, being that I already have the entire wiring harness and PCM for the 96 LT1, I would like to try to make it work. I don't have all the money in the world, so buying a aftermarket wiring harness is out of the picture, I would like to tackle doing the wiring my self get learn more about swaps. What all would need to be done to the PCM and wiring in order to work with the S10? What parts should I keep from the 2.8L before selling the motor and transmission that may be of use down the line? I have a lot more questions if anyone has enough patience lol
This will be my first swap of any kind, excited about it.

·
time to get cereal
5,098 Posts
You need this:

and...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need this:

and...

Ok will be placing that order now, even after I found the modules free online, I think it will be easier having the book. Is there anything specific I will need to look into?

·
time to get cereal
5,098 Posts
Umm, the wiring diagrams perhaps?

·
time to get cereal
5,098 Posts
If you have the whole Camaro harness like you say, you just need to splice it into the S10 harness. The engine control section of the S10 harness should be removed and replaced with the Camaro PCM and harness. You'll probably need the gauge cluster from the Camaro.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have the whole Camaro harness like you say, you just need to splice it into the S10 harness. The engine control section of the S10 harness should be removed and replaced with the Camaro PCM and harness. You'll probably need the gauge cluster from the Camaro.
Thats all I needed to know, your the man lol. Being that its a v6 I am sure on the truck I will not be needing alot of the wiring from the s10 ecm harness, I had assumed it that I would only need to figure out power and ignition power, am I correct?

·
time to get cereal
5,098 Posts
If I were going to do it, I would use the fuse block from the Camaro as well, a '96 is probably going to have better protection, not to mention more circuits that your S10 probably isn't set up for.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I were going to do it, I would use the fuse block from the Camaro as well, a '96 is probably going to have better protection, not to mention more circuits that your S10 probably isn't set up for.
You talking about the underhood fuse block or the IP fuse block or both?

·
time to get cereal
5,098 Posts
You'll have to look at the diagrams and see what makes sense. I assume you can do that, this is probably not a good beginner's electrical project.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You'll have to look at the diagrams and see what makes sense. I assume you can do that, this is probably not a good beginner's electrical project.
Probably not, which is why im most excited about it. Cant have fun if everything was so simple, im sure I can figure it out, I figured out most of what all will be needed, just havent figured out how to do all the splicing and what not

·
Been there Done it
11,257 Posts
A good soldering gun and some marine shrink wrap will be helpful. There is no under hood fuse block on a 96.
Don't know if the Camaro that year had one, but won't be needed. You can do a nearly standalone engine harness since the instrument cluster on the 93 is all analog. Just use the 93 starting and charging systems.
The speedo, water, and oil pressure will work by simply screwing the old senders into the LT1. The oil might have 3 wires. One to the gauge and the other two to the ECM. Don't remember which color is which, but the service manuals will tell you.
Just do it one wire at a time and it'll all make sense eventually. When in doubt DON'T CUT.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A good soldering gun and some marine shrink wrap will be helpful. There is no under hood fuse block on a 96.
Don't know if the Camaro that year had one, but won't be needed. You can do a nearly standalone engine harness since the instrument cluster on the 93 is all analog. Just use the 93 starting and charging systems.
The speedo, water, and oil pressure will work by simply screwing the old senders into the LT1. The oil might have 3 wires. One to the gauge and the other two to the ECM. Don't remember which color is which, but the service manuals will tell you.
Just do it one wire at a time and it'll all make sense eventually. When in doubt DON'T CUT.
Thanks, I should be getting the service manual in a couple days hopefully. I will not be cutting anything lol I rather struggle to unpin it than cut it. So would I need to find where the starting and charging are in the 93 and then find where that input goes into the 96 PCM? Your saying the harness for the 93 s10 has the same senders are the lt1?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now that I have you both here, i have the diagram for power distribution to the pcm
from what I see it looks like from the battery goes to the junction block, to a fusible link which then travels to the i/p fuse block, #3 15A, that goes to the fuel pump relay as well as the power for the powertrain control module. Am I correct?

·
Been there Done it
11,257 Posts
Sounds right.
The senders need to match the gauges.

·
time to get cereal
5,098 Posts
You can do a nearly standalone engine harness since the instrument cluster on the 93 is all analog.
Pretty sure they went to digital speedometer signals in the late '80s sometime.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds right.
The senders need to match the gauges.
I guess it doesnt have a underhood fuse block but it has that underhood electrical center, filled with relays and stuff. So based on my reading if I take the signal wire from the s10 and hook it to the fusible link it theoretically should send the pcm 12v, now does that mean the pcm would do all the rest of power distribution to the engine harness? I know that I would still need to use the signal wire for the started off of the 93 s10

·
Been there Done it
11,257 Posts
Sounds like you are in over your head on building a harness.
Not trying to be critical, just basing my impression on your questions.
If you apply 12V to the wrong pin on the PCM you can fry it.
Study the PCM pinout on the Camaro wiring diagram until you see where each wire goes and what it does before hooking anything up. I spend hours reading them when building a harness and I've been doing this a long time. And still make mistakes or have to come on here with specific questions.
If you build your harness to just run the engine and transmission and retain all the S10 wiring for everything else you will still need to get battery power, 12V ignition, and ground from the truck.

Your speedometer on a 93 is separate from the computer. It uses a VSS on the transmission to send a signal to a vehicle speed buffer. Also called a DRAC on earlier models. Which then separates the signal into different wires for the ABS, Cruise, and Speedo. You shouldn't have to change anything of those. When you unplug the existing ECM the vehicle speed buffer is sitting on the computer. Just set it aside w/o disconnecting any of the wires to it. You may have to look up it's pinout to provide the appropriate type power and ground to it after you unplug the original ECM. It's likely they shared some of those power/grd circuits.
Be glad you're working with early 90's stuff. When you get into 21st century vehicles there are literally hundreds of wires and computer data circuits to deal with. Starting around 98-99 the electrical diagnosis sections of the manuals are over 1000 pages.
I have an 09 Silverado FSM that is 7 full volumes and weighs about 35 lbs total.
And sells for $600+.
This site was started by a guy doing an LT1 swap and has grown into the go to place for wiring info for all swaps. I'm sure you'll learn a lot reading all his info. There's a lot of it. You can also email Brendan with your questions. I'm sure he'd be glad to hear from a guy doing an LT1 swap after nothing but LS, LS, LS.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Study the PCM pinout on the Camaro wiring diagram until you see where each wire goes and what it does before hooking anything up. I spend hours reading them when building a harness and I've been doing this a long time. And still make mistakes or have to come on here with specific questions.
If you build your harness to just run the engine and transmission and retain all the S10 wiring for everything else you will still need to get battery power, 12V ignition, and ground from the truck.

Your speedometer on a 93 is separate from the computer. It uses a VSS on the transmission to send a signal to a vehicle speed buffer. Also called a DRAC on earlier models. Which then separates the signal into different wires for the ABS, Cruise, and Speedo. You shouldn't have to change anything of those. When you unplug the existing ECM the vehicle speed buffer is sitting on the computer. Just set it aside w/o disconnecting any of the wires to it. You may have to look up it's pinout to provide the appropriate type power and ground to it after you unplug the original ECM. It's likely they shared some of those power/grd circuits.
Be glad you're working with early 90's stuff. When you get into 21st century vehicles there are literally hundreds of wires and computer data circuits to deal with. Starting around 98-99 the electrical diagnosis sections of the manuals are over 1000 pages.
I have an 09 Silverado FSM that is 7 full volumes and weighs about 35 lbs total.
And sells for $600+.
I am a bit over my head but I dont want to go spend 600 on a harness and then still pay 400 for a shifter modification, still have to buy the transmission cross member. Plus I also am the DIY type of guy more knowledge=more power, 23 years old trying to learn as much as I can. I am doing alot of research which is why I keep asking questions because when I think I got it figured out I would like to know I'm headed the right direction so its progress

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

And sells for $600+.
This site was started by a guy doing an LT1 swap and has grown into the go to place for wiring info for all swaps. I'm sure you'll learn a lot reading all his info. There's a lot of it. You can also email Brendan with your questions. I'm sure he'd be glad to hear from a guy doing an LT1 swap after nothing but LS, LS, LS.
When you say battery power I think like a junction block or fusible link, 12v ignition clearly when the ignition is in the forward position and ground would be chasis. Correct me on the battery power if I'm wrong. I have found each of those pins in the pcm connectors. Maybe I should go get me some used pcm from a junkyard before installing the one with the tune lol

1 - 20 of 40 Posts