S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now I have had a bad rattle on my 96. Its got about 103,000 miles on it and still strong. My problem is that when the truck gets warmed up the motor starts to develope a bad rattle. It only has it at low RPM and while sitting at idle in drive. The rattle tends to die down when in park though. I lifted the hood and tried to listen around for anything. I couldnt pin point the problem but it seems to be comming from the back rockers, or under the vlave cover to say the least. Has anyone had this problwm w/ their 2.2? Should I re-torque my rocker bolts? Any info would be greatful. I hate having a nice truck w/ a shitty sounding motor.

·
Registered
697 Posts
GreenWenvy said:
For a while now I have had a bad rattle on my 96. Its got about 103,000 miles on it and still strong. My problem is that when the truck gets warmed up the motor starts to develope a bad rattle. It only has it at low RPM and while sitting at idle in drive. The rattle tends to die down when in park though. I lifted the hood and tried to listen around for anything. I couldnt pin point the problem but it seems to be comming from the back rockers, or under the vlave cover to say the least. Has anyone had this problwm w/ their 2.2? Should I re-torque my rocker bolts? Any info would be greatful. I hate having a nice truck w/ a shitty sounding motor.
you said the sound tends to die down in park. do you have a/c? if so leaving the truck in park turn the a/c on and see if the rattling sound starts again. then turn it off and see if the sound goes away. is it like a knocking sound? does it make the noise while you're on the road at higher rpm's?

I'm asking this cuz when my tensioner started going it sounded like rocker or rod chatter. knocking when i hit the gas from a dead stop and quieting down after a certain higher rpm. sitting still in neutral it wouldnt make a noise but as soon as i turned the a/c on it would start rattling and quit when i turned the a/c back off. before you go tearing into your block i would check to see how much tension you have in the tensioner. if its easy to move, it probably needs replacing. i hope this helps.

·
sdime 4 life
524 Posts
I have a similar rattle, but it happens when I'm idling in neutral. Earlier today, it was only when i was sitting in neutral, but now if I put the clutch in I get it.

Sucks

·
Do I need a gas mask?!
5,780 Posts
yeah, when i had that rattle i found out one of the mice in the engine broke its leg and it was just spinning around. poor little guy :(

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: I gotta bad rattle

B'BallZ said:
you said the sound tends to die down in park. do you have a/c? if so leaving the truck in park turn the a/c on and see if the rattling sound starts again. then turn it off and see if the sound goes away. is it like a knocking sound? does it make the noise while you're on the road at higher rpm's?

I'm asking this cuz when my tensioner started going it sounded like rocker or rod chatter. knocking when i hit the gas from a dead stop and quieting down after a certain higher rpm. sitting still in neutral it wouldnt make a noise but as soon as i turned the a/c on it would start rattling and quit when i turned the a/c back off. before you go tearing into your block i would check to see how much tension you have in the tensioner. if its easy to move, it probably needs replacing. i hope this helps.
I ususally never use the A/C but the rattle is there wether its on or off. Its just really anoying. The tensoner was replaced this past Spring so I really dont think it could be that. Also, we replaced the A/C compressor just before Fall, so it cant be that either. Who knows :confused:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what would anyones explination be on this? I'll take any suggestions into concideration n just to stop this noise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts