S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was a good day at the track Sunday as I ran my best time to date of [email protected] This old guy started talking to me about my blaze and decided to run his '02 full-size GMC w/5.3L. I left him off the line w/ a .6 r/t to his 1.3 r/t but as I hit the 1/8 mile mark he come truckin by me to win by about 2 car lengths. He ran a [email protected] and the only mod was dual exhaust. I couldn't believe my eyes when he showed me his timeslip. Are these trucks really that fast or was he hustling me a bit? I guess, I'll just have to stick to picking on the ricers.

·
Stealth Sierra
8,375 Posts
was it a regular cab? My dad has an 02 ext cab 5.3 and hes running 14.95's with a predetor, volant and corsa exhaust.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good time not to whore the post what you got on the blase to get it runnin those times. I am alos interested in seein if the 5.3 are really that fast.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it was a std cab 2wd auto. The only real mods I have are pulleys, efan, & HPP3. Other than that its just little stuff like tb mod, egr mod, 180* tstat. I'm still running the stock intake (w/ drop-in K&N) and stock exhaust.

·
without the 20's...
504 Posts
There was a heated debate on here recently about the 4.3 vs 5.3. maybe you've solved that argument for those that insist they beat the 5.3 consistently with little-to-no mods on their dimes.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Please!! Exhaust wasnt his only mod to run 14's. You are running times close to alot of performance vehicles. Its a truck!! Yes, performance trucks are fast.....& even regular v-8's are quick, but a 5.3 isnt running those times without some decent mods.

·
Stealth Sierra
8,375 Posts
02gmczq8 said:
was it a regular cab? My dad has an 02 ext cab 5.3 and hes running 14.95's with a predetor, volant and corsa exhaust.
when he was stock he ran 15.60's i'm running 15.49 there you go right there, you can beat them if they're stock.

·
THE ONE THE ONLY
141 Posts
sorry but those times sound like a buch of horseshit for only exhaust i mean yeah it's a 5.3(really don't know why they phased out the 5.7 in the trucks) but i just can't see that kinda times without some kind of reprogrammer or some engine mods

·
Stealth Sierra
8,375 Posts
predetor is a reprogrammer, go to ls1tech.com and look in the truck performance section, the times are around average....

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Look in the new Truckin for average v-8 times. Chevy is going to fall right under those same marks. They dont have anything more than anyone else. The others are in the same HP range. They run low 16's to high 16's on average. SRT10 with a 6 spd is running high 14's stock. Sorry, not in a stock 5.3L.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I went and test drove a Yukon SLT w/ the 5.3L. For a 5000+ pound beast that thing hauled ass. It was tough getting going from a dead stop as I thought it would be because its so heavy, but from a roll it would move. It definately felt as fast as my Blazer from a roll.

those times sound like a buch of horseshit
Some of you should stroll over to ls1tech.com some time. There are plenty of std cab 5.3s running 14s w/ just intake & exhaust. How about go tell those guys that they're full of horseshit?

Look in the new Truckin for average v-8 times.
Quit being a mag racer and go to a dragstrip some time. I seen the guy's truck and the timeslip.

·
Registered
53 Posts
03SS- shut he hell up, u dont have a clue what ur talking about. theres stdcab 5.3s that hit low 15s all day. i own a 4.8L stdcab with i/h/e/hpp3 and i run 14.8s all day on 18 inch wheels. the power between the 4.8/5.3 and the 4.3 just dont compare. a 4.3 s10 will always be behind, trust me

·
Xtreme Dreams..
1,939 Posts
MY buddys Fullsize 4x4 ran in the mid 16's with an intake and Hypertech PP. HE has a fully loaded Z71 with the 5.3L

Have the timeslip from Cecil county MD to prove it...

·
Registered
53 Posts
why do people keep trying to compare what 4x4s run? this has nothing to do with z71s, ya thier slow as fuk. put a 4x4 extcab s10 up against a z71 and see how well it does lol. what would it run like an 18 shit

·
Where's the duct tape?
38 Posts
When my dad had a 2000 ex. cab z71 5.3, it ran a 15.9 with a very broke in motor(180000 miles).

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
03 SS said:
Look in the new Truckin for average v-8 times. Chevy is going to fall right under those same marks. They dont have anything more than anyone else. The others are in the same HP range. They run low 16's to high 16's on average. SRT10 with a 6 spd is running high 14's stock. Sorry, not in a stock 5.3L.
Interesting, latest sport truck tested the srt10 6spd Ram with a [email protected], seems as if your info is off by A LOT. Reg cab or extended cab 5.3 silverado (non 4x4) will be in the 15's guaranteed stock, reg cab with intake/exhaust would be without a doubt close to if not in the 14.9's.

·
Registered
745 Posts
have u figured in altitudes? Some magazines run at sea level some dont, and our track is at about 3500-4000 feet above sea level which does not = a stock extended cab 5.3 in the 15s.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, today I bought that Yukon SLT. Its fully loaded, all leather, third row seat, sunroof, etc. First chance I get its going to the track and I'll see what it can run in bone stock form. I'm also gonna have to cross a scale and see the exact weight of this beast. I've only heard that they are over 5000 pounds, but I want to know exactly.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I'll add that its an auto (of course) w/ 3.42 gears and G80 limited slip rear-end w/ traction control. I'm hoping for a [email protected], but expecting more like a 16[email protected]

For the hell of it I punched some figures into a horsepower calculator and at 5850lbs a 295hp vehicle should run a trap speed of 84mph. Hopefully it doesn't weigh anymore than 5500lbs. Then a 84mph trap speed should be good for at least a 15.9 (I hope.)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts