S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started having a fuel delivery problem with my truck. 91, 2.5 vin E 5 speed. It seems to happen randomly. So far I've changed out the IAC, MAT. MAP, IGNITION CONTROL MODULE, replaced the gray plug to the coil, the coil, coolant temp sensor (2 wire) .
It happins randomly. It'll start to chug, the more gas ya try n give the more it chokes out. Then dies and won't start up again untill its sat a while. If anyone else has experienced this issue and solved the problem, any inside would be greatly appreciated.
I should mention, I rebuilt the motor just under 3 years ago, with a fresh distributor, wires, cap, etc. Fuel pump & filter, oil pressure switch, oil pump. Just about everything new on the motor as far as sensors go. Except the single wire coolant sensor for the gauge. Thanks in advance to thoes who respond.

·
Registered
91 2.5L 4cyl 5 speed regular cab shortbox
7 Posts
Was having the same issue. Truck was new to me a few months back. Ran fine, idled fine, drove fine most of the time and randomly it would just sputter out of nowhere. In the end it was two things. One, the fuel sock was clogged to heck. It would let fuel through but when under load or hitting the gas the pump couldn’t suck enough fuel up and would kinda sputter out, take your foot of the gas and it ran fine again. Second thing was whoever changed the fuel pump years before managed to half kink the fuel sending hose. Straightened it back out put everything back where it was supposed to be and runs like a top ever since. A 5 dollar part and 2 hours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was having the same issue. Truck was new to me a few months back. Ran fine, idled fine, drove fine most of the time and randomly it would just sputter out of nowhere. In the end it was two things. One, the fuel sock was clogged to heck. It would let fuel through but when under load or hitting the gas the pump couldn’t suck enough fuel up and would kinda sputter out, take your foot of the gas and it ran fine again. Second thing was whoever changed the fuel pump years before managed to half kink the fuel sending hose. Straightened it back out put everything back where it was supposed to be and runs like a top ever since. A 5 dollar part and 2 hours.
Thank you Low'n'Slow. I do appricate the advice. I will give thoes a check for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Low'n'Slow. I do appricate the advice. I will give thoes a check for sure.
Well Mr. Low'n'Slow, you were correct about the fuel pump sock being gunned up a bit. More then i would have expected since its less then 3 yrs since i put it in.
Though it didnt solve the problem unfortunately. It did make it a lil better though. When the truck died i was able to get her goin again after only sitting a few minutes vs an hour plus like before. Would ya happin to have any other suggestions that I could try to remedy this issue? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
91 2.5L 4cyl 5 speed regular cab shortbox
7 Posts
Hm that’s a bummer, good that it helped a bit at least. I guess if your fuel sock was filthy kinda stands to reason that your fuel filter could be too. Have you done any treatments like seafoam? Have you put an eye on your injector while it’s running? Does it spray evenly and consistently? Maybe watch it while it’s choking out to see if the fuel just stops or if it starts to sputter at the injector.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Mr. Low'n'Slow, you were correct about the fuel pump sock being gunned up a bit. More then i would have expected since its less then 3 yrs since i put it in.
Though it didnt solve the problem unfortunately. It did make it a lil better though. When the truck died i was able to get her goin again after only sitting a few minutes vs an hour plus like before. Would ya happin to have any other suggestions that I could try to remedy this issue? Thank you in advance.
Hm that’s a bummer, good that it helped a bit at least. I guess if your fuel sock was filthy kinda stands to reason that your fuel filter could be too. Have you done any treatments like seafoam? Have you put an eye on your injector while it’s running? Does it spray evenly and consistently? Maybe watch it while it’s choking out to see if the fuel just stops or if it starts to sputter at the injector.
I will check that.
I did replace the fuel filter.
I believe i found the culprit however. I believe I have a small leak in one of my heater core hoses and it caused the ECM to corrode and fail. I popped the box open and there was quite a bit of corosion on the motherboard, where the prom pluggs in, as well as (what I believe to be) the prosser chip. There are a couple dieodes that look fried too. Gonna replace that and see if it dosent solve the issue. Lol, if that o'l truck was a horse, I'd probably of shot it by now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts