S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Low Clearance
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
damn yall .. i tryed and tryed to get the plastic peice around the gauge cluster off, so i could start to paint it, well that failed .. i almost got all the way done execpt for the last corner, and BOOM!! it craked, im so pissed, i tryed using a dremal tool and a razor blade, the razor was working for the best part, then it craked. So now i have the peice installed in my truck with no plastic peice there, is this a bad thing??? If anyone here is reading this, and has painted that peice, please PLEASE let me know how you did it so i could try again. thanx for reading my story and if you could help that would be great.. later

·
Registered
189 Posts
hey man dont worry about it. everyone that tried ususally breaks it on the first try anyway. u can buy them from the dealer for like 13 bucks. u just need to be very careful when u do it, it took me like an hour and a half to get it off. if u have a heat gun try using that with it. it will loosen up the glue that your trying to cut. i did it, but i put a billet piece in mine instead of painting it. when u put it back on you might want to cclean it up some before u put it back on, get some good contact cememtn glue and apply it with a brush and glue that bitch back on there. good luck man and if u have anymore questions hit me up ill help you out as much as i can

·
Low Clearance
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey man thanx alot, no can you just buy the platic peice or do you have to buy the whole gauge cluster from the dealer?? if you have a pic of your billet peice put it up here i would like to see it .. thanx later

·
Registered
475 Posts
i did it on mine so i could paint the surround around the cluster. I just used a sharp razor blade, and slowly worked my way around. THere are a few spost that there are vent holes so moisture doesn't get trapped in the cluster. U can use those holes as a starting place, then use the razor edge to work your way around. I did it on my first try with no problems. Whatever works though. You can see pics of mine on the thread called "painted interior peices".

Eric

·
Low Clearance
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Eric, i wish it was that easy, i was like they put a lot of glue on one spot and i could'nt work the razor around it, so it craked a little bit, but when you laid the dash peice in front of it you could not see the crack. Then i started to work around the other corner and BOOM cracked right in half, i guess thats the name of the game, and for the "vent holes" that you were talking about, the only hole i seen on there was for "odd/trip" unless you mean at the top of the cluster? i dont know sorry for rambling on... later

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yes, the vent holes i was refferring to were the few gaps between the cluster and the clear sheet. I beleive there were two on the top....only visible by looking at the top of the cluster. Don't feel bad man, you're definitely not the first to break that piece. NO biggie, just give it another shot and hopefully it will work out for you.

Good Luck,

Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts