S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Red X = Pure Sex!
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting the Hypertech Power Programmer for my 2000 Xtreme V6 auto, and wondered if its worth the $345 price. I know you can input new wheels sizes for any tires you get, raise the top speed, but does it actually shift harder and accelerate better? I have a K&N Gen 2 intake with Flowmaster exhaust, does this make any difference? Do you get better fuel economy or worse with the HPP? Thanks for any help on this expensive device.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I too am interested in the HyperTech Power Programmer.
I like the idea alot better than the Jet Chips.
The price is a bit steep, I have manual tranny, but I would imagine it is still worth it.
-TheComputerGuy23

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
It does have more features for the automatic, I got one off ebay for $220 for my 2000. I have a 5spd so the only things I use at the moment is 128mph top speed and power tuning, I mainly got it to correct the speedo when I change out my gears. I have to say I am pleased with the unit, raising the top speed limiter was cool and to be honest I noticed a moderate performance difference in the higher rpm's. To me it was worth it, but I would definitely check on ebay for one before dropping $345, because for $200 more you can get a professional computer reflash that will give you substancially better performance, especially with the automatic because you can get rid of most if not all of torque management, which I have heard combined with the rest of a typical reflash can drop .4-.5 off of your 1/4 mile time, pretty impressive.

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
except a reflash is illegal. 10,000$$ fine if caught jsut a warning. on hypertech's site they have a dyno of a 2001 crew cab(i think) it gained 30 hp at the wheels and like 10 torque or something. i heard it also raises mpg which will really add up.

·
THE ONE THE ONLY
141 Posts
I've ridden in my uncles S-10 4.3 after he got it on and in and it was enough 4 years ago to convice me to get one for mine it dose shift harder and your shift points get raised but you can definetly tell a difference in the motor and the nice thing in if you change your rear end or tires you don't have to worry about gettin pulled over cause it changes all that for you i'm gettin mine on chirstmas and it will be on my truck about 20 mins after i wake up so i write about it after i go driving with it and see what my ass-o-meter says about it

·
Registered
142 Posts

so the chip makes the shift point higher, raises the top speed, and gives more hp and tork? sounds like its worth it to me :) would i need to program it or do they come pre-programed for each yr truck??

scott

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
theyre year specific and i got mine for less than $345 new taxes and everything for my 2003....and its not a chip its a programmer you hook up to your OBD2 port and it reprograms your ride and whatnot

·
Blown and Intercooled
218 Posts
The programmer gave me a mild difference with my 99 5 spd. I noticed more in the top end range and raising the top speed govenor is great. Put the 160 stat in and even noticed more change. The only problem is, feel more power, use more power and gas mileage goes down. It is worth the money

·
Platinum Plus
326 Posts
the jet chips are a joke my friend has 2 diff ones on his 2000 extreme and he showed no diff at all i have power programmer and thats the main reason its so damn fast pull up to another 4.3 and see wuts up when hes shiftin at like 5500 you can scream to 6500 or redline at 7 not much power at 7 but alot faster then at 55 yea get one off ebay heard u cant get em shipped off that for like 220....just make sure the guy takes the program off his truck or it wont work on urs...Pm me if ya have ne questions

·
Registered
262 Posts

Do you really want to go up to 6500-7000 I mean I think the trucks kinda stress themselves out over 5500 rpm.

I recently ordered this mainly to correct the speedo with the 4.10 gears but I might as well use the other options as well. So I'm looking at the box and I'm wondering, what exactly do you change to increase the horsepower and torque? It shows all this stuff like changing rev limiter, top speed limiter, shift points, etc, but I don't see anything that would seem to give you extra hp.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I got a question bout this.....I still have everything stock (for now) in my truck. If I were to buy one of these, would it cancel out the thing that keeps me from going over 98 mph or would I have to buy a new chip to be able to do that?

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
The HPP is definatley worth the money. My buddy bought one for his 01 S10 with the 4.3 automatic. I drag raced it every weekend at the local 1/8 mile dragstrip. Before the HPP I was running around 10.5s and afterwards(also after experimenting with the different settings and getting it perfected) it was running 10.0s. He also later used when he got lower profile tires, changed gears, and started running 93octane gas all the time.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I might be getting one for $5 :). Talk about a savings. The guy was given the wrong one for his vehicle so they are letting him keep the one he has and sending him another one free of charge :)

Also, I was looking on E-Bay and there was something on there about a chip that can add 15-20 hp. I read the sellers user ratings and it turns out not to be a chip but a resistor. Should I bid on it? THe starting price is $0.01

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
BigBoy141 said:
I might be getting one for $5 :). Talk about a savings. The guy was given the wrong one for his vehicle so they are letting him keep the one he has and sending him another one free of charge :)

Also, I was looking on E-Bay and there was something on there about a chip that can add 15-20 hp. I read the sellers user ratings and it turns out not to be a chip but a resistor. Should I bid on it? THe starting price is $0.01
NOOO!!!!!! Like you said, it's a resistor, it's totally useless and does not add anything. If you really wanted to try it, go down to radioshack and buy a resistor for like 25 cents.

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
graveyardcustoms said:
the jet chips are a joke my friend has 2 diff ones on his 2000 extreme and he showed no diff at all i have power programmer and thats the main reason its so damn fast pull up to another 4.3 and see wuts up when hes shiftin at like 5500 you can scream to 6500 or redline at 7 not much power at 7 but alot faster then at 55 yea get one off ebay heard u cant get em shipped off that for like 220....just make sure the guy takes the program off his truck or it wont work on urs...Pm me if ya have ne questions
:blaugh:

dude stock our 4.3's shift at 5200 or so and when u program it you might push it to 5400 or 5500 at most bc i have seen dynos give power up to maybe 55XX RPM and then it drops off...also the tach doesnt go past 6k on a 4.3...and unless its built youd go boom or shit out at 7k id bet

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
xxosiris9xx said:
:blaugh:

dude stock our 4.3's shift at 5200 or so and when u program it you might push it to 5400 or 5500 at most bc i have seen dynos give power up to maybe 55XX RPM and then it drops off...also the tach doesnt go past 6k on a 4.3...and unless its built youd go boom or shit out at 7k id bet
Guarantee that motor has never seen 7,000 rpms, actually guarantee it hasn't even seen 6,000 rpms! You would be a fool to take it there on stock internals.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is there any possible way for the programmer to be reset without the original vehicle it was used on? This guy on ebay is trying to sell one that wasnt reset on the original vehicle and I am telling him to cancle his auction, but he wont because he says there is other ways of resetting it if you have the equipment. Just wondering if his statement holds truth?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ok i have heard good things about the HPP.. arn't there other products that do the same thing. I remember reading somewhere about a reprogramer that had more stuff you could change then just what the HPP offers. Any one think of the name? i'll have to do some checking and see what i can find.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts