S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hawaii, Hawaii!!! Yay!!!
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an issue... If someone had a Hypertech Power Programmer 3 and did not reprogram their truck back to stock before getting rid of the truck, is that HPP3 no totally screwed and cannot be re-sold or is there a cure for this?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I was told by someone off of e-bay that he knows a guy who can sometimes reprogram them. Im not sure if that is true or not, but who knows. As far as I know though, they are just pieces of plastic until the vehicle is set back to stock and it gets its programming back.

·
Stealth Sierra
8,375 Posts
the stock program stays in the programmer until the hypertech program is taken out and replaced with the stock one. if the truck goes to the dealer and they flash the PCM for codes the hypertech program will be deleted and replaced with the stock program, if the program is deleted from the vehical and you dont have it for the hypertertech anymore you can send it to hypertech to be reprogrammed costs around 200 bucks, hope this helps you out.

·
Stealth Sierra
8,375 Posts
the hpp3 also only works for one vin but have heard rumors that it works for the same year , engine and transmission vehicles because most of the vin # is identical, so if you get it reprogrammed it would only work on a vehical just like yours.

·
Hawaii, Hawaii!!! Yay!!!
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually have one and got rid of my truck. I bought it used and never had a problem with it but I did not get a chance to reprogram the truck back to stock and wanted to sell the HPP3 now that I do not need it anymore. So I guess I am stuck with a paper weight now.

Note... HPP3's are not VIN specific. The one I have can be used on 2002 GM trucks with 4.3/4.8/5.3/6.0 liter engines.

·
Stealth Sierra
8,375 Posts
sorry but as soon as you first programmed your truck the programmer remembered your vin number, just because the box said it can be used on 4.3/4.8/5.3/6.0 doesn't mean after you program it that it can be changed to work on one of those motors.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If I have the program on my truck and I go to a place to have some codes read for my Check Engine Light, do I need to deprogram the truck until after they get the code or is it ok to leave it on there without causing any harm to the program?

·
[email protected]& Fallin apart
512 Posts
Hypertech recommends a return to stock, as the diagnostics equipment may not recognize the HPP's program and cause false codes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts