S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
C.L.I.T. Commander
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what chip should i go with? street runner or thermo master? the thermo needs a new thermostat, right? ive got an auto tranny if my sig doesnt say

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, the Thermomaster chip requires a special 160 or 180 deg powerstat (the only difference between it and the StreetRunner). As far as which one to get, it depends on how cool you want your engine to run. The advantage of the Thermo is that the new 'stat will keep your engine running cooler, giving it better performance due to the increase in cool, dense air running through it. The only problem with this is if you already live in a cold environment (like Iowa) you definitely don't want to go with the 160 deg and you might not want to run the 180 (even though people in PA and MA use them). I can't help you there. I live in NC and don't have to worry about it getting too cold for too long (just like to rub that in on occasion). Hope this helps.

·
S10 2 N V
29 Posts
Anytime you put achip into your truck you should put in a new T-stat ... I live in CT ... its like 30 degrees here ... I run a 160 w/ no warm up problems .... and in the summer time it makes a 20 1 30 degreee engine running temp. difference over the stock engine.. If you dont use a new t-stat and the preferred octane gasoline set by the manufacturer you could cause detonation to occur ..... this probably wont happen .... but you definettlt wouldnt want it happening... By the way I have a great chip for Sale .. its the Stage II JET Chip Works Awesome!!!! just cant use it w/ my current Set up! ... Lemme know if u wanna purchase it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
i got one of the thermo master chips. and a 180 thermostst. works good. remember you may not notice a difference right after you put it in, but it will make a good upgrade. you may also want to upgrade your ignition also, i have the msd 6a, good unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts