S-10 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Chevy s10, the drivers side turn signal hyper flashes but only when my night time head lights come on. Also the drivers side break light won't light up bright when the break is depressed. In addition the reverse light turn on, on both sides when the break is applied. (THIS ALL OCCURES WHEN THE NIGHT TINE HEADLIGHTS ARE ON) as far as I know everything is normal during daytime running lights. I have replaced all the bulbs. Any thoughts?

·
Been there Done it
9,228 Posts
Sounds like a ground issue. The brake and turn signal is trying to reach ground by backfeeding thru the backup lights. On each side in the rear below the lights and inside the frame rail is a ground junction block. They're plastic with a green cap. One is visible at the bottom of the attached picture. They basically connect the ground wires from each of the bulbs together and then one wire is connected to the frame for grounding all of them. It's not uncommon for the ground connection to the frame to be rusty and not making a good connection. Pull the screw from the frame and wire brush or sand everything to be sure there is good contact. Another common issue is caused by moisture getting inside the junction block and under the wire insulation and corroding the wires. Check that they are clean and wiggle the wires to see if any feel weak. The insulation can look good and the wire itself be rotted inside.
The block and screw in the picture must have been nearly new or in the desert because most look much worse. Ignore the printed stuff it just happened to be on the picture I found.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts