S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
walking the line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st Gen S10 (manual trans), and there isn't enough room even with a bezel. my question is, should I just slice the duct and rebuld it with sheet steel, or try to figure out a way to melt & mould it? I don't have access to a heat gun, so I'ld have to use my hand torch and try not to lite up the dash.

or is there a 3rd option I'm not seeing?

·
2,116 Posts
ManInBlack said:
1st Gen S10 (manual trans), and there isn't enough room even with a bezel. my question is, should I just slice the duct and rebuld it with sheet steel, or try to figure out a way to melt & mould it? I don't have access to a heat gun, so I'ld have to use my hand torch and try not to lite up the dash.

You can heat it up and push it back with an end of a 2 x 4. But do not use a torch......you will be sorry. Thats way too much heat at a focused point and you will burn something up.

Just spend the $20-30 for a heat gun or find someone that has one. I got a cheapy model from wal-mart.

If you can get a sawzall or a small die grinder in there then you can cut a patch out and replace it with a sunken in piece of thin steel riveted in place. and siliconed airtight. But thats a tight area to work in.

Just invest in a heat gun for your tool collection and mould the duct back.................

·
walking the line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
V8S15Jimmy said:
You can heat it up and push it back with an end of a 2 x 4. But do not use a torch......you will be sorry. Thats way too much heat at a focused point and you will burn something up.

Just spend the $20-30 for a heat gun or find someone that has one. I got a cheapy model from wal-mart.

If you can get a sawzall or a small die grinder in there then you can cut a patch out and replace it with a sunken in piece of thin steel riveted in place. and siliconed airtight. But thats a tight area to work in.

Just invest in a heat gun for your tool collection and mould the duct back.................

Thanks for the info, I didn't think the budget ones WalMart carried would be hot enough.

·
walking the line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
orangesonoma said:
i cut mine out and used duct tape ti fix the hole.....not one probelm...

well ****. if I had know the mighty D-Tape would stand upto the ordeal, that would have saved me a few hours, and a 1/2inch slice in my thumb.

I ended up lopping the lobe off the passanger side and patching with sheet metal and RTV, and warping the flat space enough to not butt the antenna connector.

I'll definitly be keeping the ductape in mind if/when I decided to hook up the aux input.

·
UNBANNED BITCHES!!
2,007 Posts
orangesonoma said:
i cut mine out and used duct tape ti fix the hole.....not one probelm...
i did this also once when i custom placed a PS-2 in a dash , the plugs on the PS-2 hit the duct so i had to cut out a section than i reformed it back to gether with duct tape......
heres a pic of the PS...in the dash....no shots of the duct though sorry

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
ManInBlack said:
3rd option not mentioned is to buy the radio install kit for your truck. it extends out of the dash about .75 of an in. any of the options work. it just depends on what you want to do and want it to look like.

·
walking the line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Deviant Mini said:
3rd option not mentioned is to buy the radio install kit for your truck. it extends out of the dash about .75 of an in. any of the options work. it just depends on what you want to do and want it to look like.
even with the kit, I still needed 1/4 inch or so.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
ManInBlack said:
Then you have a very deep deck. That damn ducting behind the first gens is infamous for installers, as they suck hard core. Ive installed several different decks in several diff 1st gens with the use of those ugly spaced out bezel install kits, always look ugly as hell, but never had one not fit yet.

When I took the dash out of my 1st gen a cpl years ago, I had a spare duct laying around. I tried the heat gun and 2x4 method, all I managed to do was make a mess. I just slammed the other duct back in and figured Id do .... something ... when the time came. Well, the time hasn't come yet. lol

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
ManInBlack said:
maybe the wrong kit then. they have different depths on them. but on mine i did a kit and heated the vents in the back and pressed in on them. also cut some of the access plastic that serves no purpose in there. it makes room for harnesses and if you have rca's i suggest getting 90degree plugs also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts