S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the top and bottom radiator hoses yesterday after noticing bubbling coolant leaking out of the top hose at the thermostat. They both had been on there for at least the last 10 years and looked worn out anyway. I let the truck do a heat cycle after changing the hoses and everything looked fine. No leaks and no overheating.

Today I took it on a 90 mile 2 hour round trip to a mountain lake and when I got there I noticed coolant was pouring out like a fountain. It was hard to tell where it was coming from because the fan was causing so much turbulence. When I turned it off I still couldn't quite tell but the lower fan shroud had a bunch along with the sway bar and frame under the radiator.

I brought a gallon of premixed just in case and used the whole thing to fill the rad and overflow after we were done at the lake. By the time we got home, the truck was on the verge of overheating but running fine. The overflow was totally empty. I removed the fan shroud and fan to get a good look at everything. As far as I can tell all the hoses are dry, the radiator is dry, the water pump looks like the culprit. Has anyone heard of this happening? A leak is fixed in one place and springs up down the line somewhere else?

·
Been there Done it
11,874 Posts
If it makes you feel any better I replaced a leaking brake line on my K1500 and before I got it out of the garage I had to fix 2 more. Went thru a lot of brake fluid rebleeding it each time. Used most of a roll of Nicopp line, too.
Might want to pull the lower hose and see if the pump snout has a crud build up or a rust hole in it. You're going to have to pull it off to replace the pump anyway. Good thing is the pump is probably cheaper than the 2 hoses were. Be sure to put sealant on the 4 bolts that hold the pump on. They go thru to the water jacket and will be a slow leak if you don't. I also put copper banjo bolt washers under the heads as a redundant seal.

·
Registered
1997 Chevy S10 LS 3dr 2wd 4.3L
17 Posts
I have had that happen a few times with all the junkers i have owned.
the coolant pressure is low becaus of the current leak, so when you fix that leak, the coolant pressure goes up enough to bust the next old hose
that's why I just replace all the coolant lines at the same time, saves so much time and effort,...

·
Been there Done it
11,874 Posts
Just had that happen today on an old Tracer my SO loves. Replaced 2 metal and 1 rubber brake hose and while bleeding them 2 more burst. I told her I'm done. Sell it as is or crush it. Because I could see all the lines are rusting.
Coolant hoses just rot with age and all the heating and cooling cycles.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up getting a standard duty pump from O'Reilly's with a lifetime warranty. Does anyone know the difference between standard and heavy duty? I did a bunch of searches but surprisingly couldn't find a definitive answer.

·
Premium Member
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE 4.3 CPI 4x4
579 Posts
Pulley diameter may be smaller on the HD pump to move water faster, or it may be a way to get more money out of you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pulley diameter may be smaller on the HD pump to move water faster, or it may be a way to get more money out of you.
Ah, if that's the case then no big deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts