S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done with my big 3 upgrade so I thought i'd post up some pictures and get some opinions and advice. Hell, I just wanna make sure I did it right..

I used 4 gauge power wire for the alternator to battery and 2 gauge for the grounds. I got the ground wires from autozone for 6 bucks a piece and got the power wire from the local audio shop. I used a 80amp fuse in the power line. Thats what the audio shop recomended but they're a lil shady. Does that sound right?
The alternator is rebuilt to put out 160amps.

Heres a picture of the battery to body and the body to the alternator mounting bolt.

Here is a picture of the other end of the body to alternator mounting bolt.
You can also see the new red power wire which connects to the battery.

Here is a picture of the new power wire (red) from the battery to the alternator.

·
Mine Sweeper!
6,512 Posts
looks nice man! next time my alternator dies (just replaced this fall so not for a while) or I add a third amp (or get a new sub system that requires more than my 900w already) then I'll go for 200amp alt and some upgraded power wires (prolly 0awg) how much did the whole setup cost you and how long did it actually take?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spent 30$ on the wires and 12 for the fuse.
The alternator was right around 200$

It really didnt take that long at all. Probally around an hour because I had to keep coming on the forum to check and see if I was doing it tight.

·
Mine Sweeper!
6,512 Posts
nox said:
i iwsh my fenderwells were as empty as yours
me too...I can't even SEE my fender wells without digging through stuff
if I had clear fender wells like that I coulda fit my train horn there instead of between the grill and rad, partially behind the bumper too

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I replaced that 50 gallon coolant resevoir with something smaller. Its amazing how much better it looks.

·
Mine Sweeper!
6,512 Posts
so what exactly is involved in the big 3 upgrade? upgrade the alternator to the battery+ (is a fuse required?), upgrade the battery to the frame, and upgrade what else? is it the alt to the battery- side or can it be alt to frame as well?

·
Registered
39 Posts
does $110 dollars for a 160 amp alternator wiht 2 year warranty sound like a good price? also i found one for $150 with life time warranty. if i get one should i pay the difference for the warranty?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
juddspaintballs said:
Phontain, is that 80 amp fuse working out for you?
No problems yet :D

The rule of thumb is to put a fuse in that dosnt exceed the maximum power capasity of the wire itself. Its kinda wierd tho that an 80amp fuse works with a 160amp alternator.
Electricity is so confusing to me :haha:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
s10dude93 said:
does $110 dollars for a 160 amp alternator wiht 2 year warranty sound like a good price? also i found one for $150 with life time warranty. if i get one should i pay the difference for the warranty?

I wouldnt deffinatly pay the extra for the warrenty.
My alternator went out on me already (started squeeling under heavy load) but luckily it was under a 2 year warranty.
We put out electrical systems through hell so its always a good idea to have the warrenty as a safty net.

·
Mine Sweeper!
6,512 Posts
Phontain said:
No problems yet :D

The rule of thumb is to put a fuse in that dosnt exceed the maximum power capasity of the wire itself. Its kinda wierd tho that an 80amp fuse works with a 160amp alternator.
Electricity is so confusing to me :haha:
I think I read somewhere on the sounddomain link that was given that you should put a fuse in for what your amp will actually draw from the alternator plus whatever larger load bearing electrical systems will as well. That way if they begin to demand more than they should the fuse blows and you ain't screwed.

And just a thought...I would keep 1-2 extra fuses in the truck with you just in case one blows while you're out.

I'm probably going to do the big three upgrade soon but not the alt upgrade (I'm going to wait until my lifetime warranty alt dies) because the 105amp alt hasn't been giving me much trouble with my hifonics amp as it did when I had the audiobahn amp. I guess the hifonics might have more little capacitors built in or something?:dunno:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a handfull of extra fuses just incase.

I have 3 450s, ppi 2100 amp, and a 850 amp all going at the same time and it hasnt blown that fuse so I think its going to be fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts