1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Just 1 of many write ups

·
Been there Done it
15,261 Posts
If you go to this section of the forum there 145,000 posts written over the past 15 or so years on the subject:
You could narrow it done some by doing a search within that section for a 5.3L 4wd swap.
If you don't need 4wd or want to lighten your Crewcab you could delete the transfer case and front differential. Do a search on the forum for removing 4wd. That has also been discussed thousands of times.
If you don't have the time to do the research you likely don't have the time to do the swap. An LS into a CC is a big project, but with an 04 you don't have any other choice. I plan to put a 96-02 Vortec L31 in my 01 Crewcab, An LS swap requires mechanical skills, time, money, the necessary tools and equipment, the necessary space available for quite a while, dedication, persistence, and more money. There are folks who can do it for you. Allow north of $5K for just their labor. A grand for a wiring harness. More than that for the exhaust. Close to that for the pan and required extras, Twice that for miscellaneous parts, belts, hoses, clamps, nut, bolts, gaskets. Fluids alone will be well over $100. Haven't mentioned wheels, tires, transmission, rear end, suspension, cooling, or the front accessory drive or A/C.
Be cheaper and easier to buy a used LS1 Corvette or Camaro and keep the truck for truck stuff. Home Depot, trash runs, etc.

·
Randy
961 Posts
Mine has been 3+ years and more than 8K all together, I quit really counting @ 5k. but when asked I share. I'm now a retired mechanic & I have done most of my own work. I also build transmissions on the side to pay for all of this. This how it adds up so fast. Sure if you have a lot of stuff already and you can build your own harness. You can save some $$

For me it's tuff to go fast without being able to stop. so I started with...
a 4wheel disc brake upgrade.
$1000 Plus
Suspension parts
$800
transmission built it myself/stall converter
$1200
LM4 short block
$250
243 heads/Gen 4 rods & flat top pistons
$100
Rebuild parts
$700
Machine shop
$600
Cam/lifters/springs/gaskets
$1000
Exhaust includes hooker manifolds
$1400
Accessory drive kit
$1600
CPW custom harness, PCM & start-up tune
$1200.00
New Race Star wheels & Nitto tires
$2000
HPtuners
$575
Misc fluids & crap required to fire it up
I quit counting....

·
Registered
459 Posts
Mine has been 3+ years and more than 8K all together, I quit really counting @ 5k. but when asked I share. I'm now a retired mechanic & I have done most of my own work. I also build transmissions on the side to pay for all of this. This how it adds up so fast. Sure if you have a lot of stuff already and you can build your own harness. You can save some $$

For me it's tuff to go fast without being able to stop. so I started with...
a 4wheel disc brake upgrade.
$1000 Plus
Suspension parts
$800
transmission built it myself/stall converter
$1200
LM4 short block
$250
243 heads/Gen 4 rods & flat top pistons
$100
Rebuild parts
$700
Machine shop
$600
Cam/lifters/springs/gaskets
$1000
Exhaust includes hooker manifolds
$1400
Accessory drive kit
$1600
CPW custom harness, PCM & start-up tune
$1200.00
New Race Star wheels & Nitto tires
$2000
HPtuners
$575
Misc fluids & crap required to fire it up
I quit counting....
1st : Take out yuge business loan. $25k-$100k should cover your hearts desires. Now you're rdy to dive in.
Don't let up til it runs, drives exactly as you thought it should.
2nd : never tell anyone what it cost . You don't want them to miss out on the fun.

·
Randy
961 Posts
My next swap will be fully funded up front too.
My daughter wants me to do a Scratch built 66-67 Nova, I told her $250K. She say's OK

Reactions: S10dude
1 - 7 of 7 Posts