S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
musical engine builder
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my next project is a 79' malibu and well i like ti drive fast and do the engine work. and well electrical ain't my thing. so here's my question. how do i wire in a electric fuel pump? i'd like it to turn on when i turn the key on.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You can do it that way but you need something to shut off the pump as you drive,like a pressure switch or you have to put in a bypass valve on the fuel line so you can recirculate the fuel you don't need. Too many ways to do this.

·
musical engine builder
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok well is there a good fuel pump(has to be a inline electric) that puts out the right psi?

·
Registered
134 Posts
They all sould be good pressure wise, but the volume(flow) is what is tricky. you need to find out how much fuel your carb or injection requires in the way of volume and size the fuel pump by this. Then you can figure out if you want a bypass(return)line system or if you want to use a pressure switch that will turn the pump on and off as pressure drops. If you are just trying to get rid of the mechanical fuel pump,maybe find a fuel tank with a fuel pump in a bone yard? It will probably be sized for your needs if you don't get radical w/engine mods and it will be set up for a fuel return already. WHOLE LOT LESS WORK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts