S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. I have an 88 S10 and the wiper switch packed it in. I know the grey wire is low speed and the purple wire is high speed on the motor. What are the other two wires for? I can get the motor to go by directly applying power to the grey or purple wire but I don't want to wire in a dashmounted toggle until I know what the other two wires are for, anybody help me out with this? I would they are grounds but even with the harness unplugged and power directly to ONE of the pins I get wipers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Upon searching the forums for related stuff, I am now sure one of the wires is to park the wipers. Any ideas as I will probably need to hook that baby up so I don't have to play the 'time the wiper' game.

BTW, I will be filling out my sig with whats been done to my truck.

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also forgot to mention that I don't think it is the board in the motor housing as I had smoke pour out the steering column at the lever. It's supposed to rain in the next couple days so if anyone has some insight into the harness that would be great. I found the flat connector under the dash for the wipers, tested with direct power again with the same results.

Thanks again
Greg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, since no one replied I figured I would post what I did to fix a broken wiper switch.

For sub $30.00 I got it fixed with low/high and wash. I found a couple fixes involving toggles and racker switches and such but I didn't want that. I went with three push buttons (1 momentary and 2 latch) located in the rocker switch punch out above the headlight switch.

The wiper switch wiring harness plug is located to the left of the steering column, it has five wires in it. They are as follows: white(12V ignition), grey (low speed), yellow (wiper park), purple (high speed), pink (wash). I made an extension harness to reach to the upper corner of the dash so that I would have 3 12V leads, 2 park leads, 1 low speed lead, 1 high speed lead and 1 wash lead

For the wash, I used a momentary normally open single pole single throw(SPST) off-on button switch rated for 1A at 125VAC. This switch has two pins, connect the pink wire to one and the white wire to the other.

For low speed, I used a latching single pole double throw (SPDT) on-on button switch rated for 6A @ 125VAC. This switch has three pins, connect the yellow wire to pin 1, the grey wire to pin 2 and the white wire to pin 3.

For high speed, I used a latching single pole double throw (SPDT) on-on button switch rated for 6A @ 125VAC. This switch has three pins, connect the yellow wire to pin 1, the purple wire to pin 2 and the white wire to pin 3.

That's that, it took me about 3 hours to make the harness and find the appropriate wires. I figure with this bit of a helper it should take more than an hour and it cost me a grand total of $26.83 including tax. Not too bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just read over my post and realized I missed a word. I figure with this bit of a helper it should take NO more than an hour.

I had another thought as well, I will post up again as to whether or not I need to add a relay to disable the high speed when the low speed is active and vice versa, it's dark and wet right now so I don't want to go test it that aspect.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is exactally how mine is setup. THe switches are in the exact same spot as yours as well. I didnt take the time to wire up a wash button or the HIGH speed wipers. All I have is momentary button for single swipe and then I have an on/off button for low speed wipers. You took this to a whole nother level! :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 82 Harness and the colors are close but not exact, I have white, grey, orange, purple, pink.
Ive just located them so far, so I don't know if the functions are the same yet.

·
Administrator
22,387 Posts
11 year old thread...

Link to S10 Forum Rules

Thread closed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.