S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These are my visors off my 98 S-10. They are the lighted ones. Non-lightened should be the same steps.

Frist remove the visors from the truck.

You will need a T-15 torque wrench ( the star shaped one)

There are 3 screws holding the visor on, wonce they are removed the visor will drop.

There is a small plug tucked inside the hole going into the roof.

Unplug it.

Then unsnap the visor from the clip on the oppisite side.

Here is what you will have.

Next side the extra visor off.

Its just pulls off. Becareful the shaft is coated with grease. I wiped mine off to prevent getting it on the tweed.

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The visor is made of thick cardboard.

Start where the shaft went in and slowly pull it apart. It is just glued together.Work your way all the way around.

When its all opened up. Carefully remove the factory cloth.

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Next I laid the cardboard on the tweed and traced a patteren out. I went about 3/8" bigger. So that it will over lap the edge good.

I used hot glue to do the visors. I felt that the 3M #77 spray glue would not hold over time.

I appiled the hot glue in 4" strips at a time and over lapped the tweed over the edge.I only glued where the factory did. ( you will see it when its apart) I did not glue anywhere on the center.

You may have to make some relief cuts on the center curves so it will wrap around easier.

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
After that dried about 15 min. I then appiled hot glue aound where the tweed overlapped and where the cardboard was. about every 6" or so. then I folded the visor in half and held till the glue set. Then I just worked my way around till it was all closed up.

Use caution not to use too much glue it will come out.

Finished visor.

Next was the main visor.
remove the factory cover just like the other small visor.
But you need to remove the mirror before it will come off completely.

Becareful with the strap on the visot they are stiched onto to cardboard use a knife to cut the threads. Dont pull them off you will ruin the cardboard.

Remove the 2 light covers. (I used a butter knife)

Then there are 4 clips that hold the mirror to the inner frame. (yellow squares)
I used the butter knife here also. Be VERY CAREFUL. take your time. move the clips back till the mirror comes off.

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Trace the pattern on the tweed again, leaving that 3/8" extra around the edge.

Use the factory cloth as a pattern for the hole for the pivot and mirror cut out.

red is where i applied hot glue in 4" strips to glue the tweed down to the cardbaord frame

Wonce all the glue was set put the inner frame onto the cardboard . make sure to place the two cardbord tabs into the slots.

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Carefully flip it over and make sure the hole for the snaps are OK. and make sure the on off pin is not covered. (not done yet on this pic)
Snap the mirror back on, make sure that all 4 snaps are on.

Red is where I applied hot glue to close the visor up. Apply it in 3" strips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.