S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am doing a Trenz Billet Grill install on my 1998 s10 that has an Envoy conversion. This how to will cover the grill only.

First picture is of the grill before any work was done.

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok time to get cutting.
First of all Trenz install instructions SUCK! They don't specify which lip to cut or leave!

My first cuts were to remove the GMC letters and the bars that are in the center of the grill. I did this to make the grill easier to hold and to make it easier to cut the rest of the center out.

Cuts were made at the red circles.

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ok there is an about a 2" lip of plastic that needs to be removed so the grill will sit flush.
To make it easier to get a good final cut I removed most of the gray plastic and I left about a 1/2"

To do this I used my Dremel tool with a cut off wheel.

The area to be removed will be the gray area of your grill and in the end all you will have left is what is painted like the body color.

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Now you are left with a 1/2" to 1/4" lip.

If you have a chrome grill I high recommend you buy some blue masking tape and cover all the cover or you will scratch it up.

To remove this I used the Dremel tool and cut relief cuts at the corners to make it easier to remove the corners of the lip.

DON'T CUT TOO FAR and GO SLOW AND TAKE YOUR TIME!

After I cut the relief cuts I took a razor and ran it along the edge between the painted and gray using the painted area as a guide to cut a straight line. Use a brand new blade. Do a couple of passes appling light pressure. Don't try to cut all the way through on the first pass after about 4-5 passes the the knife will cut all the way through very easy.

USE CAUTION WHEN NEAR THE CORNERS!

It is very easy to slip and cut to far into the painted surface(I did this but, the cuts will sand out)

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
what is left is the painted surface only.

I used the Dremel tool with a barrel sandpaper wheel, to knock down some of the ruff spots.

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok, sorry for the delay. I was bizzy on Monday with the grill and removing my rear bump stops and it got to late to finish th thread.

So here we go

after I used the dremel tool to remove the high spots I sanded the entire grill with 240 grit sandpaper to remove any scratches and razor slip ups.I also sanded down the seam mark form the mold when it was made. (where the hood release handle and spring is on the upper part of the grill).

Then I sanded the entire grille with 320 grit sandpaper.

I then test fit the grill.I mounted mine so that all bars would show.(see pic)

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Trenz gives you pop rivots to mount the grill. But I did not use them I want to be able to remove the grill if I wanted to and make it easy to and not have to drill pop rivots out.

I used stainless steel bolt, nuts and washers. They are long and need to be cut down.

I applied locktight the threads and doulbe nutted them for safety.

The 4 mounting tabs need to be bent to match the contour of the grill.
I just eyeballed it when I drilled the holes.

The next couple of pics are of the mounting.

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok next i removed the trenz grille from the factory grill.

washed it down and dried it off

applied a coat of primer

when dry I wet sanded it with 400 grit and then 600 gritt

used a tack cloth to remove dust

primed and wet sanded again

used a tack cloth to remove dust

applied white color matched paint(they say it is matched)

wet sanded with 600 grit ,washed,dried,and tach clothed

applied 2nd coat white color

wet sanded with 600 grit,washed,dried,and tach clothed

applied 3rd coat white color

wet sanded with 600 grit,washed,dried,and tach clothed

applied 3 coats of clear.

let factory grill sit in sun for about 3 hours then I reinstalled the trenz grill.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks a lot for the step by step, i too have the envoy front bumper, and at the moment i have the trenz grill laying in my living room. I'm looking forward to the lower grill install.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts