S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what type of rear came in the 97 s-10 with 2.2l 5spd? gear ratio, and all that good stuff because i want to get some stronger axles and a spool for the rear if they make one, i know the code in the glove box tells you the gear ratio and if its limited slip or not but i need to know what kind of rear so i can order parts

thanks for all the help

christopher

·
No more switches
13,451 Posts
it's easy to tell if it's LSD just get the tires spinning and if one spins it's not LSD. The axle size i can't thinkg of off the top of my head i think it's 7.5 just like in the 3rd gen fbody's

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
delete this

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Well that is not the best way, a regular open diff will sometimes spin both tires, and on the inverse the stock lsd will spin 1 tire sometimes. To be sure, open the glove box and on the door check the rpo codes, look for G80 for posi and the other G code will tell you what ratio you have, I know gt4 is 4.10's and I think GU8 is 3.73's. The rearend is a 7.5/7.625 just like in 3rd and 4th gen f body's, with a 2.2 I would be willing to bet you either have 3.73's or 4.10's. You're not going to want a spool for the street, the axles will not last long on the street considering when you make turns both wheels will continue to spin at the same speed. Also, I don't see the point of a spool on a 2.2, the stock setup is more than adequate for what the 2.2 can throw at it, maybe if you ever get up into the 300+ rwhp range you would need to upgrade things, but I don't see that happening. If anything at all, just get a zexel torsen posi unit for $99 and throw that in there if you don't have posi already (probably don't) and that will be great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am building a hybred truck i am transplanting an 87 buick grand national turbo motor into it (400-500 hp), the 2.2 was cool but its time to get some hp into the truck and the 2.2 and 5spd will be forsale soon

i was just planing to swap gears and axles and posi in the rear

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
garmin said:
i am building a hybred truck i am transplanting an 87 buick grand national turbo motor into it (400-500 hp), the 2.2 was cool but its time to get some hp into the truck and the 2.2 and 5spd will be forsale soon

i was just planing to swap gears and axles and posi in the rear
that sounds like fun, I would not do a spool unless you only plan on racing the truck still though. With that kind of power you may want to consider getting another rearend completely, something like an 8.5" 10 bolt like I have in my truck, or maybe even a 12 bolt or ford 9" if you have adequate funds. With the stock 7.5/7.625 I know a lot of 4th gen f-body's end up grenading that rearend with only a few bolt ons, something to think about. Good luck.

·
No more switches
13,451 Posts
MINTSICK said:
Well that is not the best way, a regular open diff will sometimes spin both tires, and on the inverse the stock lsd will spin 1 tire sometimes. To be sure, open the glove box and on the door check the rpo codes, look for G80 for posi and the other G code will tell you what ratio you have, I know gt4 is 4.10's and I think GU8 is 3.73's. The rearend is a 7.5/7.625 just like in 3rd and 4th gen f body's, with a 2.2 I would be willing to bet you either have 3.73's or 4.10's. You're not going to want a spool for the street, the axles will not last long on the street considering when you make turns both wheels will continue to spin at the same speed. Also, I don't see the point of a spool on a 2.2, the stock setup is more than adequate for what the 2.2 can throw at it, maybe if you ever get up into the 300+ rwhp range you would need to upgrade things, but I don't see that happening. If anything at all, just get a zexel torsen posi unit for $99 and throw that in there if you don't have posi already (probably don't) and that will be great.
i've never heard of an open diff spinning both tires in a straight line and LSD spinning 1. just doesn't make sense. but that's OT. the GN motor will be some serious fabbing

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
I drove my truck with the orig. rear end for a while and if you could get the pass. side rear preloaded it would spin both tires. A stock LSD uses clutches to get the posi effect and if the clutches are slipping it will only spin one tire. Some of them also had cones that weren't rebuildable, when the posi went out you had to buy a new differential. Best differential (my opinion) is a locker - they don't break or wear out. Not as smooth as a LSD tho. The price on a zexel is nice but I wouldn't trust it behind a lot of torque.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
i've seen an open diff spin 2 tires. My friends 55 chevy 406ci Nascar block. He finally has enough money to re-do the rearend

·
Registered
336 Posts
my stock 92 will spin em' both on occation. It's an open diff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so you guys are telling me i have a 7.5 rear right? what kind of car or truch had the 8.5 10 bolt? i know the GN had it but GN rears are a fortune... any other donervehicals that you know of?

chris

P.S. the GN swap is not much fabing advance adaptors has the motor mounts to make it go right in and i am using a buick th-400 trans and i am also changing my rear suspension to full race ladder bar system and coil over shocks the real problem is going to be traction because heavy GN's spin bad and a s-10 is going to be worse :racing:

·
No more switches
13,451 Posts
do the newer Z28s or SS's have the 8.5?? maybe a vette? silverado?? etc... there's people that make adapters to put a GN in an s10?? thats hard to believe since there isn't a big demand. u got a link i'd like to check it out. what u gunna do bout all ur wiring and what not?? any wiring kits or anything that the company makes?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Advance adaptors has a web site you use the lower half of the s-10 motor mount ( frame part) and for 130.00 they sell you the upper half (one that bolts to the motor) that bolts to the gn motor and uses the factory location its tight but works and as for the computer you just run both the s-10 and the gn one you just have to get the notor wiring harness from the gn and its like 250.00 but all simple just time consuming, once i am finished i will be posting pics as i finish it up step by step like motor buil and install then trans then rear and suspension then the test drive and first track run if all goes right the motor i am building should go 400-500hp and 11.5-12.6 in the 1/4

i just need a rear i have everything else

chris

i have a web page of a guy who did the swap and look's like a factory install like it was ment for the truck

·
No more switches
13,451 Posts
toss up the link i'd like to see it. so ur gunna use both the s10 comp and the gn comp??? :confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes the s-10 comp to run the rest of the truck and the gn comp to run the engine its really easier than it sounds oh also i forgot the steering problem but the link shows how to fix it

chris

link to insatll let me know what you think

http://ras001.0catch.com/index.html

·
zippy
733 Posts
MINTSICK said:
gt4 is 3.73 and gt5 is 4.10. 2.2 didn't have a locking differential as an option. if you have a 5 speed 2.2 truck, it was 3.73 for regular cab and 4.10 for extended cab. all of the auto 2.2's were 4.10.

·
ZR2 Interceptor
662 Posts
CustomS10 said:
do the newer Z28s or SS's have the 8.5?? maybe a vette? silverado?? etc... there's people that make adapters to put a GN in an s10?? thats hard to believe since there isn't a big demand. u got a link i'd like to check it out. what u gunna do bout all ur wiring and what not?? any wiring kits or anything that the company makes?
Find yourself a ZR2 rear. Its a 10 bolt 8.5 G80 and will bolt right up.
In stock form, it comes with 3.73 gears.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts