S-10 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Welder to be
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody...

Well, a while back i picked up a 91 dime with 4.3/5spd. the truck is totaled, but the 247k engine still runs good, and it has a good transmission.

Im going to pull those two, and scrap the truck. Ive never pulled an engine before, but i guess its time for me to learn how to. I can bend/cut/mangle/destroy anything that gets in my way since the truck is done for anyways.

But, where do i start?? Id like to use the come along and tree method, but thats about all i know. What all do i have to disconnect or remove?? The fenders and hood are already cut away, and i could remove the radiator and support pretty easily.

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
344 Posts
in the intrest of ease, use the winch & tree method to lift the cab off first, that way you have unobstructed access to the engine/trans

42,008 Posts
using a tree is not a good idea in my honest opinion, rent or borrow a cherry picker instead....it's cheap insurance.
and as far as removal goes, disconnect all the plugs and hoses going to the motor and trans, be sure to label everything with masking tape and a marker for ease of re installation. support the motor with the cherry picker/hoist, unbolt the motor mounts and trans mount, lift it with the hoist slowly and check for any wires, hoses n junk that are still connected that you may have missed. be prepared to make a mess because you might lose some coolant from the engine and or transmission fluid out of the tail shaft after the drive shafts slip yolk is removed. then, pull the motor/trans free...installation is reverse of removal except a little easier because you have an idea of what's going on.
i could go into alot more detail but if you are any good with cars and tools you'll get the gist. if not then this project might not be a good idea to tackle by yourself. find a old timer to give you a hand. lol
oh, and i'd take the front clip off of the other truck too, it makes things a hell of alot easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts