S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In these days of air suspension,there comes a need for additional guages in a vehicle.Since vehicle manufacturers have spent so much time optimizing useable space in the dash this leaves the problem of where to add air guages without looking tacky or out of place.

The goal of this article is to show you how to mold guage pods into your a-pillars and have them look factory!

The vehicle of choice is a Mazda MX-6,fully bagged.(mrfixit's car)

I will not be using traditional fiberglass methods(polyester resin) as i know from many years in the industry,polyester resin,fiberglass and plastic are not compatible.
The resin will stick,yes,it will not bond and the weight of the guages are too much for me to trust.
:
I will be using LORD FUSOR plastic bonding adhesives and finishing products.
:
Tools needed-(tools i used)
:
air compressor
6 inch palm sander
air angle grinder with 2 inch roloc backer pad
drill with 1/8" bit
rivet gun with 1/8" rivets
various sanding blocks
fusor 2 part cartridge gun
heat gun
primer gun
blowgun
various clamps
:
materials i used:
:
plastic spreaders
3/4 inch masking tape
cardboard(to mix on)
tack rag
FUSOR 100EZ(heat set)
:
sand paper:
36 grit 2 inch roloc
80 grit DA paper
180 grit DA paper
KENT POLYTITE-plastic adhesion promoter

Now we have a generic 2 gauge pod that we need to set up the location.This can easily be done by placing the pod against the pillar (while in the car) and holding it in place with masking tape.

now that we have it out of the car we need to make a mental note of the location and start to prep for the glue.

I use a 36 grit roloc disk on my angle grinder and provide a very agressive tooth for the glue.

You need to grind the back side of the pod also.
BE CAREFUL!!!! It is only plastic and you can make yourself extra work if care is not taken.

I lined up one side flush and I drilled two 1/8" holes and set rivets to hold it in place.I did not like the exact contour so i heated the pod plastic with a heat gun and held it in place with pliers while it cooled.

After cooling i put in a couple more rivets

We are now ready to trim the excess plastic off of the pod.I used masking tape and a razor blade.The trick is to make light scores in the plastic then bend the excess.If it doesn't snap off easily then continue with the razor blade.

If you look closely,you can see the 'bevel' i created with the grinder on the pod itself.You want no hard edges to possibly come back to haunt you.

Everything looks good and tight,

:
:
so let's take it apart and glue it!
:
:

:
:
:
Do you have gloves on yet?
The FUSOR 100EZ comes with a mixing tube,what you do is open both cartridges,BUT before you insert the tube,you pull the trigger(over a garbage can) until equal amounts of product dispenses,THEN you put on the mixing tube.
I dispensed the fusor on to a mixing board then worked it firmly into the grind marks on the pillar.I then ran a bead on the pod itself(what is not pictured is that i worked the fusor into the pod with a spreader as i did on the pillar!
Now is the easy part.Since you already fit this,all you need to do is line up your rivet holes and throw some clamps on it!
:
:

This will become your break time for a bit,clean up your mess,grab a snack,

When done with your break,get out the heat gun and start warming it up.

:

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
sorry for the teaser.....i need to finish writing it:)

with clickable thumbs instead.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thank you sirs!

i'll continue on it tomorrow.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

:
fusor 100ez has a working time of 40 minutes....it cures in 12 hours @ 70 degrees.....ALTHOUGH a heat gun should be used to kick the shit over....ie---make it cure

:
:

:you can sand on it a bit
:

:
:
damn...i skipped a pic when i skim coated it...

sooner or later i'll get you to the 'sexy' stage.....right before primer......

i'll add text later:)

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

more text coming:)

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status