S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
If you do all that then why not just run a 3-link with a panhard bar? Just 1 more bar and just as easy IMO..

·
YAO! Can I write a check?
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This would not correct for any sort of driveline angle changes, but it would give alot more flexability to the 2link setup that previously relied only on the flex of the metal components.

As far as doing a 3 link instead, I just posted this as another option, Im not saying a 2link is the way to go, IMO a 4link all bars facing fwd is the best option out there, but sometimes it just isnt practical, if it comes down to using monoleafs or a 2link IMO this setup would be 100% better.

·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
low-blazer said:
You'll still definately have pinion angle issues, and those bushings won't deflect enough to give good articulation. Instead of breaking welds on axle pads, you'll shear bolts...

why would you shear bolts? the bars and the bushings/sleeves would be just like jasons bars with an extra mounting point on the bars, giving you essentially the same amount of flex that a 4link does (maybe slightly less):

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
There is no such thing as a better 2 link, yours would not provide any more flex than any other 2 link, and when are your only options 2 link or monoleaf? If you dont have the room for 2 forward facing bars then 3 link it..

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
I'd like to hear the reasoning behind the statement that a two link is better than a mono/bi-leaf setup.

Mono's at least keep pinion angle change to a minimum, as well as allow for a decent amount of travel with bags over the axle, and if a bi-leaf setup is used, the leafs will still be strong, and they won't break...

A two link can snap the leaf spring perch, bars can be bent if not contructed right, there is no axle articulation, pinion angle goes way out of wack.

·
circa 1996
500 Posts
The only way i see it maybe working is doing something like how diesels are done.Use half leafs or i believe they are called epliptical leafs or something like that.The spring will bend and allow the rear end to move as its supposed to.2 links cause cause no articulation, thats the main reason.Asking the frame to do what the suspension is supposed to will never be a good thing.

·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dude, I am not trying to get into an argument, every time I post anything on this site thats exactly what happens.

I did not come up with this design, this was actually designed by a guy that was on the monster garage "sling ray" show, he owns http://www.mudmissile.com/ and builds mud racing vehicles.

The reason I said its better then monoleafs, is beacause of the many mono leafs that I have seen snapped off right at the axle perch, but I have never seen a spring hanger even bent.

this is the car/truck that it was on:

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
MNCHVGS79 said:
why would you shear bolts? the bars and the bushings/sleeves would be just like jasons bars with an extra mounting point on the bars, giving you essentially the same amount of flex that a 4link does (maybe slightly less):

yes you are right, yes it will alow more side to side flex. I have those exact bars as the lower and upper 4 link bars on my truck, they have poly bushings but still allow me to do a mean side to side.

the bars he drew, will allow side to side, that is all he is saying.

now if i was forced to install a 2 link on my truck, then that is what i would choose, yes it doesnt solve the pinion angle problem, but atleast it solves the side to side problem.

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
also true, if some sort of slapper bar is used on a mono leaf setup, than it can actually be better, because of the pinion angle problem.

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
heres a quick drawing of what i mean, the factory overload spring could be clamped in with the ujoints, and the front would be clamped on like a normal slappr bar does, with a piece of rubber inbetween the 2 parts. it could help with the dreaded leaf twisting.

·
SIC-Founder & WA Ch. Head
1,687 Posts
Even with the added bushings, I still wouldn't trust it for daily driving. You wouldn't be able to get enough articlulation, and you'd still put way too much strain on the bushings...they'd be carrying way more load than they should around corners...you'd still pull a wheel off the ground if you were turning sharp up hill. Now, if you triangulated those bars, and made them as long as possible (similar to a GM style trailing arm setup), it would definately be more streetable. Still not ideal, but better than running a couple short bars straight back from the spring perches.

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
im not saying to mount the front of the bar solid to the leaf, but set it up like a traction bar, where the leaf is able to have some movement, but the bar will stop it once the leaf twists to far.. they have been using traction bars for years, so they must help some. this would just a home made low profile traction bar type setup.

besides i wouldnt really trust a mono'd leaf setup all that much either myself, but i'd feel a little safer with a traction bar on it. atleast, the leaf would have less chance of breaking from being twisted to much from axle wrap.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Slammy said:
The only way i see it maybe working is doing something like how diesels are done.Use half leafs or i believe they are called epliptical leafs or something like that.The spring will bend and allow the rear end to move as its supposed to.2 links cause cause no articulation, thats the main reason.Asking the frame to do what the suspension is supposed to will never be a good thing.
Slammy....... its called a quarter-eliptical spring. They are basically a half a pack of springs but they have the pivital mounting point at the front and then usually at about half spring there is a break over point. For those that are reasing this and have seen like set ups....... this done not mean that you can cut your leafs in half. Quarter eliptical springs are specificaly made to do what they do.

Tony....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts