where and how do lift my truck
i have an 04 s10 cc 4x4 4.3
part numbers and aplications please
i want to make me TRUCK bad ass
thanx

·
Registered
514 Posts
ok, to lift your truck, obviously you have to have a lift kit. and installing one takes time, and alot of know-how. and think...these are s-10s. they can look bad ass, but without a SFA swap, they can't perform bad ass offroad. and i wouldn't suggest you do a SFA swap because judging by your post, it doesn't soundlike you have very much mechanical know-how. as far as ordering a lift kit, there are tons of kits out there. try superlift, or rough country. one will cost around $1500. you could also do a body lift...which are $100-$200, but you don't get near as much satisfaction with them.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
:stupid: youre going to spend a hell of a lot of money on an IFS lift, and not really get your money's worth in performance. a SFA lift is almost always better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh well, Once again. There are a variety of IFS lifts available. Superlift, Trailmaster, Truckin suspension. There is always the option of Body lifts. OR you could go SFA. There are Pros and Cons to all lifts. I'm gonna guess that since your truck is brand new you are not going to want to tear all the IFS out of the front end. You can have a badass truck with out going to a SFA. I would suggest checking out some of the other s10 forums on the net especially S10 crewcab forum Talk to WARNOFFROAD(not sure if hes a member here) hes had the IFS lift and done a SAS on his crew cab.

·
ZR2 member
1,899 Posts
sign_in_name51 said:
ok, to lift your truck, obviously you have to have a lift kit. and installing one takes time, and alot of know-how. and think...these are s-10s. they can look bad ass, but without a SFA swap, they can't perform bad ass offroad.
If you think this is true then you havent looked over at zr2.com at some of the off road trip pictures.they are some with 6" and some with 5 inch lift.Here is a couple links

http://www.houseofloy.net/smsmith/
This is Steve's page.Owns a Black excab with 5 inch BDS lift..

http://forum.zr2.com/ubb/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=001077#000005
The blue and white ZR2 here is Mike Copelands very bad ass LS-1 powered truck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yea, I don't think the IFS really effects off-road performance in a negative way aside from rock crawling(poor articulation up front) :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
the lift isn't what kills the ifs...its the stress the bigger tires put on it. but hey, if he just wants his truck to look bad ass, and never put it in 4x4, then i would go with a regular s. lift. just my opinion. my blazer (with a 6" lift) blows ifs parts all the time when i'm hunting, but during the summer when i'm not hunting, nothing happens to the ifs, because i don't put it in 4x4. and this hunting season, i just ran 245/75r/15 bfg mud terrains, and the ifs never broke a once. and that goes to prove that bigger tires are what break ifs, not the lift.

·
12,507 Posts
IFS is worthless in mud, because you're only 3 wheel drive (IF you have a locker in the rear) and with a SFA, i can put an ARB up front when i get in the deep stuff

·
ZR2 member
1,899 Posts
Muddy...You are telling a guy with a brand spankin new 04 that the best thing to do is hack out his front end and cobble in a solid axle.IMO thats all that any of the late model conversions are.Because they were not DESIGNED for a solid axle.

·
12,507 Posts
nooo...it seems like he wants it mainly for show, so id recommend he NOT do a SAS. the 1st gen trucks arent designed for a solid axle either. there are some very nice SAS kits on the market now so it wouldnt be "cobbled" together, if he spent the time to research and the money to have it installed right. no IFS vehicle is designed for a solid front axle, yet S-10's, Dakotas, Rangers, hell ive even seen a few Frontiers with solid front axles on them. your truck wasnt DESIGNED to run 32" tires, but i bet that doesnt stop many people from doing it.

·
12,507 Posts
then you cant debate that kits designed to properly install a solid front axle in an S-10 are not DESIGNED to work.

·
Kickin' Crew Cab
55 Posts
blackZR2 I sent you a pm.....

·
got SFA?
901 Posts
MuddyS10 said:
IFS is worthless in mud, because you're only 3 wheel drive (IF you have a locker in the rear) and with a SFA, i can put an ARB up front when i get in the deep stuff
i disagree strongly. you can get lockers, front AND rear for our trucks. they do help. And ifs isnt that bad in the mud. its almost better then SFA because all the parts of it ar tucked up out of harms way behind a skid plate or midway through the A arms.

and there are more options then ARB for lockers man. lock rite, aussie locker, detroit, spools, welded rears ( not very good for driveline but free ) and a whole bunch others. plus..if you have enough time to stop, enguage the locker in mud, and start goign again..thats way to shallow. if yor gonna do that lock it first. its not very good for them to be locked on the fly.

·
got SFA?
901 Posts
MuddyS10 said:
then you cant debate that kits designed to properly install a solid front axle in an S-10 are not DESIGNED to work.
this is hard to do. look at the fabritech one. Pyros has had problems with holes lining up and the shocks hitting something or another. Correct me if im wrong. but the guys over at the extremist site have been kinda bad mouthing the kit some ( no offense ) because its not nearly as good as the stagewest was. the problem is every truck is different and the kits wont work all the time for everyone. so the design them to work in MOST cases.

·
12,507 Posts
i want an ARB because itll be a streetable beast with 37's. i had the debate with a few guys on IFS being better because it has a more streamlined design, but if you look at it, trying to run bigger mud-tread tires on IFS will very like break it if youre in deep, gumbo mud. also, could you PLEASE send me a link for n IFS locker? im going to need one till i can afford my SFA. and about the problems with the kit, of course thats going to happen.. io bet there were a lot of problems when body lifts first came out, with steering shafts and transmission linkages. since the S-10 SAS market isnt huge, its not going to get the same money for R&D that, say Dodge will get to convert the new IFS Rams to SFA. id just rather have a SFA for the better articulation, ability to run bigger tires w/o worrying (as much) about breaking something, and for looks.

·
12,507 Posts
and theyve got portal and Unimog axles!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts