S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Searching no more
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This how-to is for anybody with a decent static drop and a front sway bar or someone who just wants more control over the firmness of their suspension. After my 3.5/4 drop (with coils and spindles in front) the sway bar had quite a bit of travel at the endlinks. Some of this was because of a missing washer, and the other because the bushings were were so compressed. As you can see in the picture, even under load the bar had plenty of room to move around, which means it was practically useless.

Although not obvious in this picture, I could move the endlink had about 1-1.5" of travel.

Tools needed:

- 13mm socket wrench
- 1/2 wrench
- New endlinks. Bought my endlinks on e-bay. Total cost = $14
- (optional) jack

This shows all the parts included in the kit. It was a universal kit, so depending on your application you may not need everything. You are also given stock parts like the metal tubing in case you just wanted to replace your stock end links with new ones.

·
Searching no more
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Step 1:
-Although not necessary, you may want to jack the front of the truck up. Mine is static dropped, so it was a bit easier to get under there with it jacked up. If you install the end links with it jacked up, you will have to adjust the end links with it sitting full load.
-Another good tip is to turn your wheel to the left when working on the driver's side and to the right when working on the passenger side. This also allows for easier access.

-->Place the 1/2" wrench on the top nut and hold that still. Then use the 13mm socket on the bottom of the end link bolt to loosen the nut. You could do it the opposite way, but I found this way to be much easier.
-->Remove the old end links and take notice of the way everything was put together.

Difference between the new and the old. The metal tube is now being replaced with a spring so that the end links are now adjustable. Also notice how the old end links were reinstalled incorrectly after the drop was installed.

·
Searching no more
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Step 3: Once the old end links are removed, just install the new end links. It is very simple, but you have to make sure everything is positioned like the old endlinks were. In the following pictures, you can get an idea of how they should go in (ie. where the bushings and washers should be)

In this picture, the truck is jacked up and the nut has not been tightened down.

From top to bottom, here's the order of the parts:

nylock nut
washer
bushing
SWAY BAR
bushing
washer
spring
washer
bushing
LCA
bushing
washer

·
Searching no more
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Last step: If you had it jacked up, drop it back down and tighten down the end links to whatever stiffness you choose. You can see in the following picture about how much I tightened mine down. The bolt I used was actually a little shorter than the stock one. After installation, the bar was good and secure without and room for movement. I test drove it, and it handled MUCH better. You can now adjust the end links to match whatever handling you want.

New and finished:

Old and finished and reinstalled incorrectly(in the trash now):

·
Sweet n Low
1,169 Posts
So out of the kit (which has a tall and short set) which one did you end up using?

·
Sweet n Low
1,169 Posts
oh and any noticable differences? you happy with it?

·
Searching no more
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mrn_89 said:
So out of the kit (which has a tall and short set) which one did you end up using?
I used the long bolt set including the longer spring. I guess there were two sets you could use. One short and one long. And yes, I noticed a difference immediately in the handling. It's much tighter now that the front sway bar is actually doing it's job and now that there are new bushings in there. It was an easy, cheap upgrade. Only took about 15 minutes and that was because I was taking pictures :)

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
im not understanding what the spring in the end link is for? wouldnt that make the new end links compress under a hard load condition... basicly deffeating there purpose?

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
98layinframe said:
im not understanding what the spring in the end link is for? wouldnt that make the new end links compress under a hard load condition... basicly deffeating there purpose?
:werd:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts