S-10 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ran out of gas. got a jerry can of gas from 711. ran my truck it ran good for about 10 minutes then started stumbling. i changed fuel filter and drained into a bucket. the fuel had water in it. changed fuel filter. no difference. drained filter 4 more times. no difference. added iso heet to it no difference. can i remove the filter and siphon the tank through that fuel line?

·
Registered
101 Posts
You're not going to get it all out by siphoning thru the fill hose or by using the fuel pump.
But siphon as much out as you can, then pour in 5 gallons of fresh (good) gasoline, then add a bottle of octane booster, 104+ octane or STP or Lucas, etc. octane booster, and a can of Seafoam.
At least this is what I do to mine on those occasions, except I don't siphon any out beforehand, YMMV.
What you're doing is diluting the amount of water in the tank, and the additives help the engine to burn it off.
Otherwise, drop the tank and clean it, or pull the fuel pump assy out and siphon from there. You'll be able to see into the tank and "see" when you have all the fuel/water out. g/l

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're not going to get it all out by siphoning thru the fill hose or by using the fuel pump.
But siphon as much out as you can, then pour in 5 gallons of fresh (good) gasoline, then add a bottle of octane booster, 104+ octane or STP or Lucas, etc. octane booster, and a can of Seafoam.
At least this is what I do to mine on those occasions, except I don't siphon any out beforehand, YMMV.
What you're doing is diluting the amount of water in the tank, and the additives help the engine to burn it off.
Otherwise, drop the tank and clean it, or pull the fuel pump assy out and siphon from there. You'll be able to see into the tank and "see" when you have all the fuel/water out. g/l
thanks ill try it out!

·
Registered
91 base=driver, 94 mid engine=build
163 Posts
If heet did not fix it then my guess is your pumps shot.

Your fuel lubricates the pump. No fuel no lubrication. I would check fuel pressure at the rail.

If the rail is good you can pull your line (at the filter) and place your feed line in a bucket. Go to the pump relay and jump the relay so the pump turns on.
This will drain the fuel down to around 1". You will hear when the pump starts sucking air by the diffrence in tone. When you hear that stop running the pump and connect everything back up.

Then pour in some heat and 5 gallons of good gas. Turn the key a few times on and off to get fuel to the regulatior then turn the key. Should fire up on the 3rd try.

·
Registered
59 Posts
the water is on the bottom of the tank and you can't dilute it with more fuel. i would try sucking the bottom of the tank with an evacuator first to eliminate as much water as possible.

·
Registered Offender
715 Posts
The original "Heet" is basically methyl alcohol. That's NOT a good thing for most fuel systems containing any brass as methanol will leach ions out of the metal. It also attacks some plastics and elastomers.

The later version "Iso Heet" is based on isopropyl alcohol. It also has an affinity for water, but not quite as much as other alcohols. It is safer for fuel system components, however.

Ethyl alcohol is much safer, and also has a good affinity for water. Ask anyone who enjoys a decent single-malt or Tennessee whiskey on occasion. It's also readily available since ethanol is the common oxygenator found in blended fuels.

Other additives are probably only going to depress water adsorption from the fuel. IMO, most of the "Lucas" line of products are eventually going the way of Bardahl, Rislone, STP, Marvel Mystery, SeaFoam, and any other brand of reptile lubricant.

For all you armchair physicists out there, remember that water is heavier than gasoline. Saying that it cannot be pumped out using the factory fuel pump just doesn't stand to reason when the pump inlet is at the VERY BOTTOM of the fuel tank.

1. Suspend the water with alcohol;

2. Pump the contents of the tank out after removing the fuel filter and rigging a discharge line in its place;

3. Add fresh regular (not premium) fuel with 10% ethanol to pick up any remaining water;

4. Install another new fuel filter;

6. Stop buying fuel at 711 (obviously).

Rub a few neurons together and figure it out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The original "Heet" is basically methyl alcohol. That's NOT a good thing for most fuel systems containing any brass as methanol will leach ions out of the metal. It also attacks some plastics and elastomers.

The later version "Iso Heet" is based on isopropyl alcohol. It also has an affinity for water, but not quite as much as other alcohols. It is safer for fuel system components, however.

Ethyl alcohol is much safer, and also has a good affinity for water. Ask anyone who enjoys a decent single-malt or Tennessee whiskey on occasion. It's also readily available since ethanol is the common oxygenator found in blended fuels.

Other additives are probably only going to depress water adsorption from the fuel. IMO, most of the "Lucas" line of products are eventually going the way of Bardahl, Rislone, STP, Marvel Mystery, SeaFoam, and any other brand of reptile lubricant.

For all you armchair physicists out there, remember that water is heavier than gasoline. Saying that it cannot be pumped out using the factory fuel pump just doesn't stand to reason when the pump inlet is at the VERY BOTTOM of the fuel tank.

1. Suspend the water with alcohol;

2. Pump the contents of the tank out after removing the fuel filter and rigging a discharge line in its place;

3. Add fresh regular (not premium) fuel with 10% ethanol to pick up any remaining water;

4. Install another new fuel filter;

6. Stop buying fuel at 711 (obviously).

Rub a few neurons together and figure it out.
So I got my syphon line hooked up to the fuel filter line and I'm not getting anything. I also don't get anything when I turn my truck to on. I can run my truck just won't accelerate

·
Registered
283 Posts
i ran out of gas. got a jerry can of gas from 711. ran my truck it ran good for about 10 minutes then started stumbling. i changed fuel filter and drained into a bucket. the fuel had water in it. changed fuel filter. no difference. drained filter 4 more times. no difference. added iso heet to it no difference. can i remove the filter and siphon the tank through that fuel line?
Alcohol in E85 sometimes works to absorb H2O and become more combustible. Takes awhile. Used technique on flood stuff with fair luck.

·
Registered
653 Posts
how did you conclude there was water in the tank and that it is the sole problem?
maybe you have something else going on?
my 4.3l has always run slightly rougher after using the red bottle of heat... i recently had some drops of water in my fuel and i didnt even bother with heet based on past experiences. it works fine in my other vehicles though...

·
Registered
91 base=driver, 94 mid engine=build
163 Posts
The pump pulls from the bottom of the tank.

Where the water is.

If you run the pump(hotwire) it will suck the water out and fill it into a bucket etc. Your not getting everything. But your getting alot and its fairly easy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I drained my tank. Barely any water in the fuel. Filled with fresh gas, a can of seafoam. Fresh filter. No difference. Changed cap rotor and plugs no difference. Im kind of thinking when I ran out of fuel, my fuel pump started dying. But my trucks runs and has pressure in the lines when I remove the filter.

·
Registered
653 Posts
what motor?
is the service engine light illuminated?
check fuel pressure at the schrader. its easy, just watch videos first.
you can rent fuel pressure gauge for free at most part stores.

·
Registered
283 Posts
So I drained my tank. Barely any water in the fuel. Filled with fresh gas, a can of seafoam. Fresh filter. No difference. Changed cap rotor and plugs no difference. Im kind of thinking when I ran out of fuel, my fuel pump started dying. But my trucks runs and has pressure in the lines when I remove the filter.
What's the pressure? does it hold after key off? If below spec or won't hold , pump is suspect. 20+ YO fuel tanks tend to be cruddy inside. Electric pumps dislike being used dry and Will Die.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What's the pressure? does it hold after key off? If below spec or won't hold , pump is suspect. 20+ YO fuel tanks tend to be cruddy inside. Electric pumps dislike being used dry and Will Die.
It holds after key off and fuel pump was replaced from previous owner at the dodge dealer. I'll have get my own pressure gauge we only have Napa and bytown diesel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I siphoned all the fuel out of the tank there was barely any water in it. Filled tank with fresh gas and a can of seafoam. Truck is stumbling when I try and accelerate. Truck will idle and drive but won't accelerate.

·
Registered
653 Posts
It's a 4.3 V6 and the engine light has been on from tank pressure because the cap is messed up
2wd or 4wd?
what is the actual code? buy a new cap first if its broken...
the overall problem probably isnt the result of just one cause ...
check air filter/replace if needed, clean maf, clean throttle body, check for obvious vacuum leaks while you are at it, check fuel pressure with a gauge... there is a good sticky in the 4.3l section by user named 'burned' ....report back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
the water is on the bottom of the tank and you can't dilute it with more fuel.
True, you can't dilute water with gas, However, as the vehicle is moving, the fuel is being sloshed around which mixes the gas with the water. Adding fresh gas and an octane boost additive, helps the engine to "fire or burn" that amount of mixed fuel once in the combustion chamber.
Have doubts? Pour 2" of gas into a soda bottle (or the like), then add 2" of water to it. Put the cap/lid on and shake it up.
Did the water immediately separate to the bottom? No, it doesn't.
Using additives is just a step in clearing the water, of course it may be more severe than you want, and you may ultimately need to remove the fuel pump to access the inside of the tank to clean it or remove the tank entirely.

I siphoned all the fuel out of the tank there was barely any water in it. Filled tank with fresh gas and a can of seafoam. Truck is stumbling when I try and accelerate. Truck will idle and drive but won't accelerate.
You can't siphon all of the water out, only the majority of it, unless you remove the fuel pump and clean/remove the water from there or pull the tank. However, you should also add some octane boost in the gas tank. This will help the engine "burn" past the water, (as water des not burn). It's not an instant cure.
You also may have more water than you realize, and it will take time to get it out and the motor running like it did prior.
Did you change out the fuel filter, or at least pulled it and cleaned it?

Any significant amount of water in the tank can be a pita. My f150 has dual tanks and the rear tank has water in it. It's been a pita for awhile. I use the front tank until highway and switch to the rear tank. It spits and sputters a bit then runs normal until I start to come to a stop, then I have to switch back to the front tank.
On my 2.5 manual s10, it just spits and sputters a bit at lower speeds, but usually after about 10 miles or so, its good to go. My silverado with 6.0 has the least problem with a little water in the fuel.
I personally have never had so much water in my tanks that required needing the tanks drained, siphoned or pulled.

Too much water in a cylinder is not good. Water does not compress and depending on the amount of water being pushed into the cylinder, could cause severe damage to the motor such as blowing a head/intake gasket and even busting a piston.
If you are having concerns as to the actual amount of water in the tank, remove the 6-bolts holding the bed, slide the bed up and back to the bumper end of the rear passenger side. You don't need to remove it totally, nor remove the taillight wires. You will need to remove the small ground cable at the filler neck and the filler head (3 or 4 screws inside gas door). Just enough room to pull the fuel pump. Siphon it there and then use clean shop paper towels to sop up all the water and gas you couldn't siphon out.
While you're there, check the 3" rubber connection hose between the fuel pump motor and the fuel (out) line. Better yet, if it's the original fuel pump, go ahead and replace the fuel pump motor (around $20-$30). It comes with the fuel pump motor, connector hose, o-ring seal, 2- snap-on hose clamps, etc., and it's All Plug and Play.
* Clean the top of the fuel pump/lock ring area with a wire brush. Blow the debris with air hose or spray it with water, dry-up the water before removing the fuel pump. If it's not dirty with caked up dirt and grime, then no need in cleaning it, but blow the dust away from it.
** Disconnect the fuel filter and blow the line clear with an air hose.
*** Replace fuel pump, reconnect fuel filter, put bed on and put in fresh gasoline. Start the engine and give it a few minutes to clear itself. Hopefully you'll be on the road again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts