S-10 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im changing out the spark plugs in my truck for TR6's (running nitrous) and i can get to the last spark plug that is behind the steering shaft- how do i get to it- i beleive it is the number 3 spark plug

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
You need to go through the fenderwell. Take the tire off and do it that way. You will be amazed at how easy it is to change it then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i always use a short spark plug socket but, you have to put the socket on the plug and then use a wrench to loosen it. Then I take it the rest of the way out by hand. If you have a sears close to you, go and look for the shortest spark plug socket on the shelf, taking yours with you of course, and there should be one that is 1/4 of an inch shorter! Wish I had the exact part number for you! Will look when I get home.

Good luck,

chris

·
Unregistered User
3,591 Posts
10mm bolt on the bottem of the steering shaft(then remove it), dont forget to disconnect the battery. Very easy and painless. No need to worry about buying other stuff.

·
Registered
990 Posts
j894 said:
10mm bolt on the bottem of the steering shaft(then remove it), dont forget to disconnect the battery. Very easy and painless. No need to worry about buying other stuff.
11mm actually

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
zackd3 said:
bust the spark plug off with a hammer and get at it....works fluckin tuff.
how does that work out for the new plug?:D

·
Registered
591 Posts
SwisS10 said:

Ahhh, good old metric system, by the way, shouldnt american vehicles be standard?
true story, I did't buy a chevy truck so i could use metric tools

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
jumpin jack said:
true story, I did't buy a chevy truck so i could use metric tools
youre kidding, right? the 2.2L S-10s were all metric, and 4.3L S-10`s were all metric, save for a handful of bolts on the engine internals.
same goes for last two generations of full size GM trucks....

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
SwisS10 said:

Ahhh, good old metric system, by the way, shouldnt american vehicles be standard?

NO. just about every domestic automotive component or chassis redesigned since about 1976-77, has been metric.
it was federal law for nearly three decades.

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
No need to disconnect the battery, IMHO. I used to pull the airbag fuse just in case the steering shaft got rotated, but have never had a problem. First time removing the steering shaft takes a little effort - after that, it takes just a minute or two.. pretty straight forward.

And yeah, I too wondered how the hammer thing worked with putting a new plug in? hehe..

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
nater006 said:
No need to disconnect the battery, IMHO. I used to pull the airbag fuse just in case the steering shaft got rotated, but have never had a problem. First time removing the steering shaft takes a little effort - after that, it takes just a minute or two.. pretty straight forward.
yup.

And yeah, I too wondered how the hammer thing worked with putting a new plug in? hehe..
"not so good.... seems to have a bit of a misfire after the tune up.
not sure why..... " :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts